Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMan01

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro, purchased new around 2007 - 2008. I love the look and feel of this computer and I especially love all of the USB slots and yes, even the CD drive! I need these things for my daily work flow and I'm not interested in having peripherals that need to be transported with my machine.

Is there any way to revitalize this macbook to be like new again? It still looks as beautiful as ever on the outside, but I am no longer able to upgrade to the latest version of OSX. It's also a lot slower than it used to be and a lot of the graphic elements on the OS that it is currently running seem outdated. Basically what I'm asking, is if it is possible to put the internals of a more modern macbook into this macbook, thereby making it speedy, able to upgrade to the latest OS and seem in general like a new machine again.

I don't feel confident in my abilities to do this even if it is possible, so if anyone has used a service for something like this please point me in the right direction.

Reactions: MBP_187

MBP_187

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I am currently using a late 2011 MBP, 13' MBP, i5. I put in a SSD, will upgrade RAM when I can, currently using stock RAM (4Gb), without any issues. (running Yosemite tho...I have no problems.)
Putting in a SSD should improve performance a lot.
I am sure others can add more advice. Wish you good luck :)

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Basically what I'm asking, is if it is possible to put the internals of a more modern macbook into this macbook, thereby making it speedy, able to upgrade to the latest OS and seem in general like a new machine again.

No, that is not possible. You can update the RAM and SSD to make it more responsive though.

Reactions: MBP_187

Nate.

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hi there. I have a Macbook Pro, purchased new around 2007 - 2008. I love the look and feel of this computer and I especially love all of the USB slots and yes, even the CD drive! I need these things for my daily work flow and I'm not interested in having peripherals that need to be transported with my machine.

Is there any way to revitalize this macbook to be like new again? It still looks as beautiful as ever on the outside, but I am no longer able to upgrade to the latest version of OSX. It's also a lot slower than it used to be and a lot of the graphic elements on the OS that it is currently running seem outdated. Basically what I'm asking, is if it is possible to put the internals of a more modern macbook into this macbook, thereby making it speedy, able to upgrade to the latest OS and seem in general like a new machine again.

I don't feel confident in my abilities to do this even if it is possible, so if anyone has used a service for something like this please point me in the right direction.

I mean technically it's possible if you can manage to fit a manage logic board into the machine and then the other components as well. That would probably cost as much as just buying a new machine however

iMan01

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2015
Thanks for the responses everyone. Does anyone know of a service or company that will make these kinds of upgrades for you, for example, updating the RAM and SSD?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks for the responses everyone. Does anyone know of a service or company that will make these kinds of upgrades for you, for example, updating the RAM and SSD?

It's honestly the easiest stuff to change out RAM and SSD. You can do it :cool:

As for making your '07-'08 MBP run nicely again, it won't on the latest version of OS X. I think you can try to run Mavericks on there though.

But if you really want it to run like new, you'll find a Linux distro or Windows 7 will run much, much better than a modern, supported version of OS X.

The nice thing is if you get a large enough SSD, you can have more than one OS on it.

Reactions: iMan01

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Any computer shop will do it. Frankly, its probably not worth the money though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.