Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone!

I've been using the Smart Keyboard Folio on my 12.9" and it's okay I guess. It works, so no issue there.

The problem I've been getting into is I get used to the short key travel from my Folio (especially after heavy use during the weekend), and when I come back to my MacBook Pro, I keep making mistakes when typing, since it's a full keyboard experience there.

Can anyone recommend a good keyboard case for the 12.9" with normal key travel? Is the Brydge Pro+ a good choice? I heard the new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro is a little cramped.

Thanks!

JTan24

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2016
Hey everyone!

I've been using the Smart Keyboard Folio on my 12.9" and it's okay I guess. It works, so no issue there.

The problem I've been getting into is I get used to the short key travel from my Folio (especially after heavy use during the weekend), and when I come back to my MacBook Pro, I keep making mistakes when typing, since it's a full keyboard experience there.

Can anyone recommend a good keyboard case for the 12.9" with normal key travel? Is the Brydge Pro+ a good choice? I heard the new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro is a little cramped.

Thanks!

I personally really like the Magic Keyboard for the 12.9 inch Ipad Pro. Key travel is very similar to the 16 inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air but not "BETTER" imho. Do you type a lot for your day to day use ?

Brydge Pro+ is a good alternative but I do not like the way the Ipad is attach too the hinge. It is super tightly wedged into the two tiny hinge and it also make the Ipad twice as thick.

What about the Logitech's offering for the keyboard? It is backlit, decent keyboard as well. It is not thin either though, all these keyboard cases does increase the bulk of the whole device, so it really depends on your needs.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
I personally really like the Magic Keyboard for the 12.9 inch Ipad Pro. Key travel is very similar to the 16 inch MacBook Pro and MacBook Air but not "BETTER" imho. Do you type a lot for your day to day use ?

Brydge Pro+ is a good alternative but I do not like the way the Ipad is attach too the hinge. It is super tightly wedged into the two tiny hinge and it also make the Ipad twice as thick.

What about the Logitech's offering for the keyboard? It is backlit, decent keyboard as well. It is not thin either though, all these keyboard cases does increase the bulk of the whole device, so it really depends on your needs.

That’s great about the Magic Keyboard.

The reason I considered the Brydge keyboard is because I like having the iPad on my lap.

Yeah, I do type quite a bit.

I don’t mind the extra weight, as long as it weights less than my 16” and I can use it for “smaller” tasks (I don’t want to overuse my 16” as well).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
People are not saying good things about the Brydge Pro's trackpad integration. I would stick with the Magic Keyboard. It makes my 12.9" iPad Pro weigh about as much as a Macbook Air and the trackpad is fantastic.

Reactions: Raist3001

Mickeylittle777

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2015
People are not saying good things about the Brydge Pro's trackpad integration. I would stick with the Magic Keyboard. It makes my 12.9" iPad Pro weigh about as much as a Macbook Air and the trackpad is fantastic.
I would wait till the middle of next week before writing off the Brydge Pro as they are due to release a firmware update this week and that should give enough time for people’s responses. I have the MKB but may return it depending on how the Brydge does as I should receive mine in about 2 weeks and I have till 5/31 to return this keyboard.

I already know I’ll like the function keys and I’m hoping the pencil keeps better as it is horrendous on the MKB. I knock it off almost every time I close the lid. Also looking forward to a little better battery life as it does take a hit with the backlighting of the MKB but I must admit this is an awesome backlight!

Acorn19

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2020
I had the brydge and it was terrible the hinge mechanism isn‘t great and it kept missing keystrokes, I had absolutely murder trying to get a refund and it was late on delivery, if you do pull the trigger buy from amazon or anyone other than brydge. (Check brydge on trustpilot)

I have the MK now and it’s a million times better, better keys, no separate battery and proper trackpad support, you soon get used to the weight, if anything it makes me appreciate the iPad more when used as a tablet on its own now

Reactions: Raist3001

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have the Brydge and now the MK. I’m still waiting for a skin to cover the MK, but I can tell you now that having the function keys with the Brydge was awesome. Typing was good for the most part, but about a year into my usage, it started missing keys or double typing out letters. And the Bluetooth connection wasn’t as instant as it used to be. My previous keyboard was the Logitech Slim and that used the smart connection and I missed that instant on typing. The MK will definitely resolve that though not having the function keys will hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.