Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Once I've purchased a new internal hard drive for my Mac Pro 4,1 to use to create a clone backup of the boot drive, and I'm satisfied that the cloning process has been successful, I want to upgrade my OS from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.5.

[I'm very aware how out of date / deprecated / insecure Mavericks is compared to later OS versions, but due to the applications I need to run, going beyond Mavericks is not an option - at least not initially until I'm happy my applications all work as they should with Mavericks. Once I'm happy, and the backup drive has a fresh clone of the boot drive (containing Mavericks) I'll be able to try installing El Capitan 10.11.6. If, as I suspect from my extensive research, this causes problems, I'll be able to clone the backup drive back over the top of the boot drive, meaning I'll be back to running Mavericks again.]

Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to download a Mavericks installer from the App Store during its active lifetime. I've been a Mac user for around 24 years, and come from an era when old versions of the OS could legitimately be bought (on disc) if needed. Sadly this isn't the case any more.

Although I'm very well aware of the risks of obtaining a Mavericks installer from illegitimate sources, after much digging around on the internet, I managed to download what appears to be the official Mavericks installer, called "Install OS X Mavericks.app".

The version of the file I have has creation & modification dates of Friday, 16 May 2014 01:47, and a size on disk of 5.34GB; specifically 5,336,322,299 bytes. The "Version:" is also listed as 1.3.42.

Install_OS_X_Mavericks.app_Info_box_screen_grab.jpg

Starting the application up gives a result that looks legitimate. According to Little Snitch, it immediately wants to connect to swscan.apple.com over TCP port 443 (https). After clicking "Continue" on the initial welcome screen, the Licence Agreement appears (with "EA1050 Rev. 9/10/2013" as a footer) and clicking on "Agree" makes the next screen appear with "Back" and "Install" buttons. So far so good. I've always cancelled the installation at this stage.

Now I know that if I ever proceed with the install, I could end up with a malware infested, broken OS for my trouble. That's a risk I may be prepared to take. If I'm even slightly unconvinced about the install, I can always clone my Snow Leopard backup disk over the top of the boot disk, and return everything to how it was.

What would help me decide whether to proceed or not though, is if someone out there who downloaded their "Install OS X Mavericks.app" file from the App Store - completely legitimately - could check the size of the file.

If someone has a legitimate copy of the file that they can categorically say works without issue, and it, like my copy, also happens to be 5,336,322,299 bytes in size, with a Version of 1.3.42, and with "EA1050 Rev. 9/10/2013" as the footer of the EULA, then that might suggest that my copy hasn't been tampered with, and - other things being equal - is more likely to be legitimate, than if, say, legitimate copies tend to be a little smaller than my copy (which might suggest that my copy has had nasties added to the code).

So if anyone reading this that has a legitimate "Install OS X Mavericks.app" file from the App Store that they know worked fine wouldn't mind checking the size in bytes, the version number, and the EULA footer, I'd be very grateful.

Of course there's another potential issue, even if my installer is legitimate. The security certificate may have expired. See here for an explanation:

http://tidbits.com/article/16302

although a work around is apparently to temporarily set your Mac's date prior to 14 February 2016.

If for any reason my installer can't be used, then apparently by using the method described here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/download-installation-for-original-os.1958405/#post-22612529

I can download one by using the Recovery Partition on a Mac that originally shipped with Mavericks. My friend has a Mac Mini that I'm fairly certain shipped with Mavericks, so I could always approach him for help if need be.

Many thanks in advance for any relevant, sensible input anyone has.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
No doubt the security certificate on your download has expired. It will not work even if you tried the installation. Download a fresh copy and then you will be good. If you have downloaded a copy previously then it will still be available to you in the “App Store”. If you have not then I would suggest that you contact a friend that has.

Here is the latest file information from a download I did last year (because the security certificate on my previous download had expired):

Size: 5,353,226,093
Version: 1.3.46

I cannot tell you if this works, but I have no doubt in my mind that it would. I have had no reason to reinstall my operating system

I hope it helps, good luck.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
No doubt the security certificate on your download has expired. It will not work even if you tried the installation. Download a fresh copy and then you will be good. If you have downloaded a copy previously then it will still be available to you in the “App Store”. If you have not then I would suggest that you contact a friend that has.

Here is the latest file information from a download I did last year (because the security certificate on my previous download had expired):

Size: 5,353,226,093
Version: 1.3.46

I cannot tell you if this works, but I have no doubt in my mind that it would. I have had no reason to reinstall my operating system

I hope it helps, good luck.

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post, I can't download a copy from the App Store, as I never did this when Mavericks was supported. You can't download it again using your Apple ID via the App Store if you didn't previously.

Also as I mentioned, even if the security certificate for my installer has expired, a work around is explained here:

http://tidbits.com/article/16302

(you just temporarily set the date back enough to fool the installer, then correct the date again afterwards).

Interestingly, your installer is 16,903,794 bytes, or around 16MB larger than mine, and has a newer version number.

Would you mind running it and checking the footer of the EULA? Mine says "EA1050 Rev. 9/10/2013". As your version number is slightly newer, I'd expect a more recent date at the bottom of your EULA.

Many thanks.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
The EULA information is the same as yours.

View attachment 714154

That's very interesting. I suppose the EULA doesn't necessarily change just because the OS is updated from, say, 10.x.3 to 10.x.4, so perhaps my installer is legitimate, but installs an earlier version of Mavericks than your one.

I'm assuming that as your download is from last year, it'll be for 10.9.5, whereas mine, since it's smaller, could well be for 10.9.3 (assuming it's legitimate), as it's dated the day after the release date of that version (according to Wikipedia).

Thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.