Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Every notification that apps send to macOS can be made temporary or turned off entirely. But the ones that macOS itself creates can't be turned off, it seems. Every time I wake my Mac (maybe 20 times a day), it tells me that I should connect to my Time Machine backup. It also tells me that software updates will be installed tonight. It also tells me that software updates are available. And then it also tells me that it was unable to install software updates in the previous night. That's 4 notifications that don't go away until I close each and every one of them one by one, every single time I wake my Mac. So if I wake it 20 times a day, I have to close 80 notifications in total, in one day. That's 2400 notifications per month, 29 200 notifications a year. And that's just counting the useless ones, let alone the useful ones. If each click takes 1 second, that's 8 hours wasted per year, which is one whole work day.

On previous versions of macOS this wasn't so annoying. I don't remember how it was but these just weren't an issue. They really messed it up at some point.

I do wish they'd only show up like once a day, or maybe once a week, these are not urgent notifications. Or at least if they could disappear automatically after 10 sec without user interaction. Can anything be done about this? Terminal command, some weird app that auto-closes them, etc...? I'm willing to pay for an app if that's the solution. Hell I'm willing to completely disable all notifications forever altogether if that's what it takes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.