Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
So, after reading the forums it seems that A3 cant upgrade my A2 library unless I buy the serial. But, as far as I know, I was able to make a copy of my A2 library and upgrade it.

My question is: can the trial version make a fully working A3 library? Or had i just lost all night importing my whole library?

Thanks in advance.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It seems that the Aperture 3 trial refuses to convert an Aperture 2 library - which kind of sucks, because I would really like to see how Aperture 3 handles my existing stuff.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm having trouble aswell. I believe this is some form of safety feature included, just incase you decide NOT to buy Aperture 3. Usually, (at least with iPhoto) older libraries are converted/upgraded when you use a newer version. This can be problematic if you go back to using a previous version.

I think Apple didn't want to deal with a bunch of complaints: "Why can't I use my old library now that my Trial expired!?"

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It's so everyone's precious photos stay intact in case you decide NOT to use Ap3. You can export RAW files, projects, etc, and see how they play in Ap3.

For $99, I think it is a phenomenal upgrade.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I just imported my entire 35,000 image A2 library into A3 trial. I did this by restoring the vault. It is running very well, but it took all morning to do it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I'm not an Aperture user, but am interested in making the plunge... right now my photos are basically imported from camera into a digital photos folder, with subfolders for camera model, then month-year. Sometimes I'll put a sub-folder in a given month for a particular shoot if it's special purpose. All my photos are backed up twice to external drives, so three copies.

Here's the question: If I try Aperture 3, will it let me "import" the photos and leave them where they are without making copies? I have a couple of other photo apps that I also use and want the original RAW photos available to all of them, not buried in some inaccessible package available only to Aperture.

I wouldn't mind really giving it a go at trying to organize my photos using Aperture, but don't really want to duplicate my entire archive.

thanks... :)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I'm not an Aperture user, but am interested in making the plunge... right now my photos are basically imported from camera into a digital photos folder, with subfolders for camera model, then month-year. Sometimes I'll put a sub-folder in a given month for a particular shoot if it's special purpose. All my photos are backed up twice to external drives, so three copies.

Here's the question: If I try Aperture 3, will it let me "import" the photos and leave them where they are without making copies? I have a couple of other photo apps that I also use and want the original RAW photos available to all of them, not buried in some inaccessible package available only to Aperture.

I wouldn't mind really giving it a go at trying to organize my photos using Aperture, but don't really want to duplicate my entire archive.

thanks... :)
Yes, Aperture can use your files where they are, without making copies or moving them. That is what is called "Referenced" files, as opposed to "Managed" files. With Aperture you always have a choice of doing it either way, and you can change your mind later (by relocating/consolidating masters).

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Aperture 3 requires that you library be converted for it to work and the change is not reversible. For 4000 images, it took me about 3 hours. Also, faces takes a long time to work the first time as it searches all of you photos.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
How strange then. I don't know what I did, but apparently my trial version did made the upgrade. I selected File>Import>Library/Project, and Aperture 3 Trial made a copy of my Aperture 2 Library and upgraded it.

See this photo, one says version 2.1.4, the other version 3.0. Does this means it is working as a 3.0 library? Or I'm still working with a 2.1.4 library in Aperture 3?

Thanks again.:)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I ordered the upgrade version of Aperture 3 from Apple the minute it was released and chose standard shipping...big mistake. Five days later, my upgrade is sitting 5 hours south of here and now won't be delivered until Tuesday (Monday is President's Day) or even Weds.

Anyway, I had hoped to have it by the weekend to have ample time to convert everything over and troubleshoot, if necessary. So, now I am thinking about installing the trial and seeing if I can't somehow get it to convert my A2 library as described in this thread.

If I'm successful, can I assume that I can just input my A3 serial when it finally arrives to remove the trial status?

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Yes, it's what I did.

What Aperture 3 Trial can't do is open your Aperture 2 library and upgrade it. But it can easily import your Aperture 2 library, and leave the original untouched, creating a copy of it and upgrading it to version 3.0.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Yes, it's what I did.

What Aperture 3 Trial can't do is open your Aperture 2 library and upgrade it. But it can easily import your Aperture 2 library, and leave the original untouched, creating a copy of it and upgrading it to version 3.0.

Great, thanks...that's what I needed to confirm before taking the upgrade plunge.
So, if I understand this correctly, I should be able to import my Aperture 2 library after installing the trial and Aperture 3 will upgrade it accordingly and when I finally do receive my physical copy of the A3 upgrade, I should be able to input the serial into the trial to activate it and all will be good (positive thinking here)!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Great, thanks...that's what I needed to confirm before taking the upgrade plunge.
So, if I understand this correctly, I should be able to import my Aperture 2 library after installing the trial and Aperture 3 will upgrade it accordingly and when I finally do receive my physical copy of the A3 upgrade, I should be able to input the serial into the trial to activate it and all will be good (positive thinking here)!
Yes, but Aperture 3 Trial won't update any Aperture 2 library in place. You have to import it and it will create a v3 library and leave your v2 library untouched. If you know you want to purchase the upgrade, the fastest way is to pick Buy from the trial and purchases the Trial Activation Key instead waiting for the box to ship. You'll get the license immediately. That's what I did (do you really need the DVD and printed booklet?).

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Yes, but Aperture 3 Trial won't update any Aperture 2 library in place. You have to import it and it will create a v3 library and leave your v2 library untouched. If you know you want to purchase the upgrade, the fastest way is to pick Buy from the trial and purchases the Trial Activation Key instead waiting for the box to ship. You'll get the license immediately. That's what I did (do you really need the DVD and printed booklet?).

Unfortunately, I ordered the box version the morning it was released (I get a small discount this way through my NAPP membership) and it was too late to cancel the order by the time I realized that A3 didn't give the option to convert the A2 library. I figured I could just use it as normal and just input the serial number from the physical copy when it arrived.

I've thought about refusing delivery and just forfeiting the discount and purchasing the license thru the trial copy at this point, but I'm not sure if the online Apple business store is ok with refusals...it really doesn't address this on the website.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I've thought about refusing delivery and just forfeiting the discount and purchasing the license thru the trial copy at this point, but I'm not sure if the online Apple business store is ok with refusals...it really doesn't address this on the website.
Call customer service and ask. Chances are it's OK as long as the box isn't opened.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Call customer service and ask. Chances are it's OK as long as the box isn't opened.

That's what I'm getting ready to do...or I might just try and import my A2 library as stated here and see how it goes...that way I can keep my discount on the upgrade copy I have ordered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.