Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edmkid44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro 13" (non-Retina) and change some of the internals. Last year, I upgraded my failing 750GB HDD that the laptop came with to a 500GB SSD. Now I'm looking to swap out the computer's internal optical drive for a second drive - a large-capacity HDD (which would then give me a fusion drive).

Anyways, that's all relatively doable for me. But what I'm here asking about is if I could actually take my old optical CD/DVD drive and make it into an external USB optical drive?

I found a USB external enclosure for a SATA optical drive on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MRUN0HQ) and I'm wondering if this will work with my Mac's drive. I'm fairly inexperienced with this all haha.

Thanks so much for your help and take care. Cheers!

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade my 2012 MacBook Pro 13" (non-Retina) and change some of the internals. Last year, I upgraded my failing 750GB HDD that the laptop came with to a 500GB SSD. Now I'm looking to swap out the computer's internal optical drive for a second drive - a large-capacity HDD (which would then give me a fusion drive).

Anyways, that's all relatively doable for me. But what I'm here asking about is if I could actually take my old optical CD/DVD drive and make it into an external USB optical drive?

I found a USB external enclosure for a SATA optical drive on Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01MRUN0HQ) and I'm wondering if this will work with my Mac's drive. I'm fairly inexperienced with this all haha.

Thanks so much for your help and take care. Cheers!
you might want to check this out.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just an FYI: almost any external optical drive should work with your MacBook. I used to have a mid-2012 13" and every portable optical drive was recognized and perfectly usable in macOS High Sierra and newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.