Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
hey guys!

Any answers are greatly appreciated!

I got Aperture quite awhile back and I imported all of my iPhoto pics into Aperture --- this was probably back when Aperture was version 1.5

Since then, I'm happy with Aperture and have no use for iPhoto ---- overall, I would like to delete my iPhoto library now as its taking up 20 gigs on my HD

However, if I delete it, will I lose all of the pics that I imported into Aperture? Overall, are the iPhoto pics that I imported into Aperture linked to my Aperture library or my iPhoto library?

Thank you all!

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but maybe some advice for people. When I installed OS X I did a custom install and did not install iPhoto to begin with because I never liked it. So I don't know about deleting once you have a library, but you can avoid installing it in the first place and not have this problem.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
did you import into Aperture's library, or are the photos referenced? that's a question that only you can answer. We don't know how you imported.

If you have referenced photos, then you will lose the photos if you delete the iPhoto library. If you imported into Aperture and the photos are saved in the Aperture library package, then they should be safe.

I don't use referenced files, so I am not that familiar w/ it, but you can try file>manage referenced files to see if you have files saved outside of the library

psynot

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
You Can Remove Iphone Pictures

YOU CAN REMOVE IPHONE PICTURES
Use explorer open “My Computer”. Expand “My Computer” scroll done to “iPhone”. Expand “iPhone”. Your photos will load from here, click on edit click on “select all”, and then click on “delete”, CAUTION this will removes all image’s from your “iPhone” camera roll”, continue-
TO EMPTY YOU’RE “IPHONE PICTURE ALBUMS”
You need think of the “My Pictures” folder as a “transfer station” for your images.
After down loading images to “My Pictures”, create a new folder in “My Documents” to store your images in. Name it any thing other than “My Pictures”, for example “My Holiday’s” having transferred all images to the new folder you’re “My Pictures” Folder should now be empty, this is when you sync your “iPhone” camera with you’re “My Pictures” folder. And you are done
Regards Luke

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
YOU CAN REMOVE IPHONE PICTURES
Use explorer open “My Computer”. Expand “My Computer” scroll done to “iPhone”. Expand “iPhone”. Your photos will load from here, click on edit click on “select all”, and then click on “delete”, CAUTION this will removes all image’s from your “iPhone” camera roll”, continue-

We are actually talking about iPhoto, not iPhone. And we use Macs not windows.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
thanks so much guys!

turns out my pics are referenced - is there a way to put these pics in the Aperture library instead, and get rid of iPhoto all together?

thanks everyone!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So the files are "referenced"? One option is to start over and make a new Aperture library but this time choose a different option to actually copy the files. It is best to let Aperture manage files. Then for one thing "vaults" work as expected. But starting over you loose any work you have done after you did the import.

I think there is a way to pull in referenced files. I'll have to check.

Your first step should be to make a backup or even two backups and then place the backup copy far away out of reach.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I think there is a "consolidate" option in the "file" menu. But as was said, make sure you make a backup of your current Aperture library before you do anything.

Yep, I just checked: File>Consolidate Master.
then it asks if you want to copy or move. I would think copy would be a safer choice.

Then to check if it worked, I *think* you could right click on the library>open package and spot check the files to see if the masters are saved there. Each image file has its own folder.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
okay - I proceeded to do Mac-Surgery

Turns out my iPhoto images in Aperture are all referenced

My iPhoto Library was 19 gigs and Aperture was 23 gigs

I went ahead and deleted the iPhoto library from Aperture, cancelling all references --- I'd say a handful of photos were lost, but definitely less than 20, which I was able to recover over backup

From there, I imported the iPhoto Library into Aperture, but this time, with no referencing ---- my Aperture library increased from 23 gigs to 30 gigs!!!! Only a 7 gig difference

From there, I deleted my iPhoto library and everything was cool --- overall, I saved 12 gigs total

LESSON ---- if you wanna use Aperture, don't reference iPhoto images --- just import them fresh, using the iPhoto Import tool in Aperture and delete your iPhoto library

peace and love all - HasanDaddy

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
This is one aspect of using a Mac that I really don't like. Nobody seems to know where the hell their files are. And the operating system doesn't seem to help either.

Sometimes, trying to make things simpler is a royal pain in the arse, to put it bluntly.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
^ you could search for "iPhoto" in Finder's search with "System files - Included" added to find all of the files/folder iPhoto installed but some people dont directly realise they can do this and not all the files have "iPhoto" in their file/foldername.

here is a complete list of all the files and folders iPhoto '08 installed. iPhoto also uses core iLife '08 files but these are also used in the other apps so i wouldnt recommend deleting them!

333a55d.png

HOWEVER i would recommend not deleting iPhoto as it takes up hardly any space (ignoring pictures) on large HDDs these days. just open iPhoto select all the photos, drag them to iPhoto's Trash and then empty it. this will NOT delete any pictures in Aperture only the ones in iPhoto's library.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
This is one aspect of using a Mac that I really don't like. Nobody seems to know where the hell their files are. And the operating system doesn't seem to help either.

Sometimes, trying to make things simpler is a royal pain in the arse, to put it bluntly.

Maybe you're using your Mac wrong, I know where I keep my files, even the ones I download randomly and might forget about only to find that they collect in a folder called 'Downloads'. Fancy that, the operating taking the time to put everything I download into a folder for me!

I also have these other folders in the Finder that the computer created for me, Documents, Pictures, etc, etc...

How simple does it need to be to excuse untidy computing habits assuming you're an untidy user?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Applications - Applications folder
Other files used by the apps - Library>Application Support

Ta daaaa.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The OS can help: Right flick the iPhoto icon and select "Show in Finder" and the finder will pop up with the iPhoto file already selected. Just drag it to the trash if you like

Spotlite will also find it for you. Type in "iPhoto" and then do the "show in finder" thing again on the results.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
People usually know where their files are. In my experience most PC switchers are rather sceptical when an app offers to organize files for them. They seem to think that they need to know the location of the file to do something (e. g. attach it to an e-mail) -- when it's just a matter of dragging and dropping.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Maybe you're using your Mac wrong, I know where I keep my files, even the ones I download randomly and might forget about only to find that they collect in a folder called 'Downloads'. Fancy that, the operating taking the time to put everything I download into a folder for me!

I also have these other folders in the Finder that the computer created for me, Documents, Pictures, etc, etc...

How simple does it need to be to excuse untidy computing habits assuming you're an untidy user?
Applications - Applications folder
Other files used by the apps - Library>Application Support

Ta daaaa.
The OS can help: Right flick the iPhoto icon and select "Show in Finder" and the finder will pop up with the iPhoto file already selected. Just drag it to the trash if you like

Spotlite will also find it for you. Type in "iPhoto" and then do the "show in finder" thing again on the results.
People usually know where their files are. In my experience most PC switchers are rather sceptical when an app offers to organize files for them. They seem to think that they need to know the location of the file to do something (e. g. attach it to an e-mail) -- when it's just a matter of dragging and dropping.

I appreciate all of the feedback. My original statement has been grossly misunderstood, but this does not matter.

What matters is that you guys all care enough to tell me where my applications are, and that it doesn't matter if I know where my data is. :p

Just for the record, I know where my files are.

I was actually talking about other people who don't know where theirs are! :eek:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I appreciate all of the feedback. My original statement has been grossly misunderstood, but this does not matter.

What matters is that you guys all care enough to tell me where my applications are, and that it doesn't matter if I know where my data is. :p

Just for the record, I know where my files are.

I was actually talking about other people who don't know where theirs are! :eek:

Well you got back 4 unique answers and now people reading this will benefit from that misunderstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.