Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoricspsol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2024
I got an old iMac 2008 and I want to ease everything, split it into two partitions. One for the latest possible (and best performance) OSX and the other for Linux.

Now, my problem is that I already partitioned the disk, eased OSX, installed Linux Mint and sat up everything. BUT...

I cant reinstall OSX, it asks for my apple ID and when I put mine an error 403 appears.

I already tried to install from scratch the OSX via bootable USB but It doesn't recognises the driver and that's the strangest part for me.

Your help is highly appreciated,

Thank you!

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
It's been a while for me, but IIRC the Installer gives one the option of "Set Up Later" on the iCloud sign-in screen.

If you're getting a 403, you may not be correctly hooked-in to the interwebs.

Are you using wired Ethernet, or wifi?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I already tried to install from scratch the OSX via bootable USB but It doesn't recognises the driver and that's the strangest part for me.
Also going from memory....
After booting from the USB installer, you probably need to open Utilities-->Disk Utility and format the correct partition to HFS+. Then install OSX onto that volume. In other words, IIRC you can't install OSX onto a unformatted partition (or one in a format OSX doesn't recognize).

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I got an old iMac 2008 and I want to ease everything, split it into two partitions. One for the latest possible (and best performance) OSX and the other for Linux.

Now, my problem is that I already partitioned the disk, eased OSX, installed Linux Mint and sat up everything. BUT...

I cant reinstall OSX, it asks for my apple ID and when I put mine an error 403 appears.

Your help is highly appreciated,

Thank you!

Linux Boot Manager can't recognize a USB installer of Mac OS as a bootable device. or are you talking about no bootable device detected when you press Option at boot?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.