Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Hello,

I’ve got already a TB3 enclosure which accepts m.2 NVMe ssd.

This one to be specific;

I have used this to install Windows on it and boot from there on my 2017 and 2019 5k iMacs. However, then I moved to 2020 5K iMac and couldn’t do the same thing.

Then I sold it and got an M1 MacBook Air since I was going to move abroad. I was waiting for a bigger iMac with Apple Silicon but Apple has just killed it and now wants us to buy Studio setup. However, it costs too much for me and I am literally pissed off when saw the 2000 CAD price tag only for almost the same display on 5K iMac.

I’m asking the question because I have placed an order recently for a 2020 5K iMac from refurb. store.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2021
I’m guessing it didn’t work on the 2020 model due to the T2 chip on that machine. I still think you can do it, though maybe there are a few extra steps involved.

You can probably find the answer with a quick google search.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
You need to enable booting from external disk drives. You’ll need to boot into recovery to make this change. This change is due to the Terminator 2 chip as mentioned in a previous post.

Reactions: staypuftforums

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
You need to enable booting from external disk drives. You’ll need to boot into recovery to make this change. This change is due to the Terminator 2 chip as mentioned in a previous post.
It doesn't seem that easy fix. I remember that I was able to boot windows from an external usb 3 ssd but not from tb3.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.