Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xExtra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Miami FL
I was wondering if I can pair a Series 0 Watch when I get my 7+ without having to upgrade to a Series 1 or 2.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
First generation apple watch

The point is that's not an official name from Apple either. Apple officially calls the first generation Apple Watch simply Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport and Apple Watch Edition.

Instead of saying "Apple Watch" (as Apple officially denotes the first generation AW) and leaving people to wonder if you're talking about the AW as a whole, people are coming up with various unofficial names including:

-First generation Apple Watch
-Original Apple Watch
-Series 0
-AW1
-etc.

Same thing when referring to the first generation iPhone (iPhone 2G, original iPhone, etc.).

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Why would there ever be a series 0? If anything it would be Series 1, and now Series 2...

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Did you even read this thread? It's just a nickname for the original AW.

Yes I did... The nickname is wrong. It should be AW1, or AW S1, not S0... There is no such thing as 0 for a model, 0 is the lack of something... The nickname should be AW S1, and the new one should be AW S2...

Cars, computers, laptops... all start with Generation or Series 1...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes I did... The nickname is wrong. It should be AW1, or AW S1, not S0... There is no such thing as 0 for a model, 0 is the lack of something... The nickname should be AW S1, and the new one should be AW S2...

Cars, computers, laptops... all start with Generation or Series 1...

No, you're confused. The original AW is not AW S1. Series 1 is a newer model than the original AW.

Reactions: ZebraDude

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
The nickname is wrong.
Well, Apple kind of opened the door for naming confusion by using "Series 1" for the 2nd generation. You could post "The Nickname is Wrong" on every thread in this forum and every other forum on the Internet where people discuss Apple watches. Maybe the Internet will change. Or, you could just go with the flow and use the same "Series 0" or "S0" nickname that is seeming to take hold.

You know what else is crazy? Why is "Jack" a nickname for "John?" I've never understood that. But, it does not stop me from using Jack as a nickname.

Reactions: Night Spring

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Fine, but calling it series 0 is just as crazy, as there is never such a thing as series 0 of anything.

Well, it's pointless to try to change what people want to nickname the original Apple Watch.

It'd be just like trying to convince people not to call the original iPhone "iPhone 2G."

Last edited:

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Fine, but calling it series 0 is just as crazy, as there is never such a thing as series 0 of anything.
Not true at all. The concept of "0" is used in many instances the denote something that is hidden, off to the side, or in a different timeline than the established "1". For example, in Anime the version of Yu-Gi-Oh done by the Toei animation company that is different than the one that most people are familiar with done by Studio Gallop is often referred to as "Season 0". Or the home screen to the left of the first screen in iOS (where widgets, Siri app suggestions, etc) is often called Home screen 0, because it does come before the 1st home screen page but it's different in purpose.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I love the argument over such trivial stuff. Convo isn't related to the op's question any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.