Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BAH-ras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
This may sound like a daft question, but I am getting tired of doing some things on my iPad and only being able to do others on my MacBook. What I am ideally looking for is one single device - possibly a combination tablet and dock - that will meet all my needs.
While "resting" I just want to be able to use Apps such as are commonly found on an iPad, but I want to be able to "switch" into work mode and then use my device as a "proper" laptop running full-size software - one that can dock via a single cable that provides connectivity e.g. to second monitor, cabled network, etc., but that also charges the device.

The basic device needs to be relatively small and light (similar to a large iPad); full HD touchscreen (preferably with stylus interface as well); full HD webcam; USB interface (if possible); 6+ hours battery and >64Gb storage. The iPad Pro doesn't really do it for me as it cannot handle full-blown software packages such as Microsoft Office, etc. and is a bit too large physically for home use

Am I asking too much? I don't think so, as I see this sort of combination device becoming ever more popular for domestic and possibly also small business users.

Any thoughts, suggestions.....??

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm afraid there's nothing I can think of. What you're looking for is a little more like a Surface.

Apple have made it clear that they are keeping laptop and touch devices seperate. Mouse & keyboard UI for desktop OS, touch for tablets/phones. Sorry!

BAH-ras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I'm afraid there's nothing I can think of. What you're looking for is a little more like a Surface.

Apple have made it clear that they are keeping laptop and touch devices seperate. Mouse & keyboard UI for desktop OS, touch for tablets/phones. Sorry!
That's where I had got to as well. A shame, but totally understandable from a business perspective when you can sell two devices instead of one. Now then, if some clever developer can come up with some software that will enable mobile Apps to run on a Mac OSX device fitted with a touchsreen.............#wishfulthinking

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I don't really grasp your problem with regards to iOS apps. What exactly is it that you want to accomplish with it?

At best, it sounds like you want the horrible Windows 8 experiement...

Reactions: TheAppleFairy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.