Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
I have a 13" rMBP which I love but am considering getting an external monitor because sometimes my neck hurts from looking down at the screen for long periods of time (vs I suppose the more ergonomically correct screen positioned where you can look directly at it).

Some quick questions:

1) Can I use any type / brand of external monitor?

2) Will the monitor essentially mirror what's on my MBP? Can I essentially plug in my MBP, and then treat the monitor and a separate keyboard as a giant version of the MBP? lol.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1) Can I use any type / brand of external monitor?
Yes, as long as the proper connectors are there, you can use any external display.
2) Will the monitor essentially mirror what's on my MBP? Can I essentially plug in my MBP, and then treat the monitor and a separate keyboard as a giant version of the MBP? .
Yes, you can either have the external display mirror what's on your MBP screen, or you can use it as an extended desktop, with different things on each screen. That's up to you.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Yes, as long as the proper connectors are there, you can use any external display.

Yes, you can either have the external display mirror what's on your MBP screen, or you can use it as an extended desktop, with different things on each screen. That's up to you.

How to use your Mac notebook computer in closed-clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

Thank you! I am new to this (never really saw the need for a monitor before) but may need to consider one for ergonomic purposes. TY, appreciate the link and response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.