Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Hi all.

I am currently in Australia ( Canberra ). In the city there is an apple store, where I want to buy an LTE version of the apple watch.
Originally I am from Europe correctly Slovakia ( where are 3 carriers: T-Mobile, Orange, O2 [LTE band support in these 3 carriers are: 800, 1800 and 2600 MHz).

My plan is that I will buy an Apple watch 3 LTE version ( Model A1861 (42mm) ). As I know it has LTE band support of these frequencies:
  • LTE
  • 2 (1900 MHz)
  • 4 (AWS)
  • 5 (850 MHz)
  • 12 (700 MHz)
  • 13 (700c MHz)
  • 17 (700b MHz)
  • 18 (800 MHz)
  • 19 (800 MHz)
  • 25 (1900 MHz)
  • 26 (800 MHz)
  • 41 (TD 2500)
  • UMTS
  • 800 MHz
  • 850 MHz
  • 1700 MHz
  • 1900 MHz
In my home country ( Slovakia ) there is no eSIM support right now, but I want to buy the LTE version of the watch, and later activate it when it will be supported.

So my question is, if I buy this in Australia, can I use it normally, without eSIM functionality, until we will get eSIM support in my country?
Will it let me to use all of features of the watch (except of the LTE) ? Can I expect that the watch will lock me out of the use, when I want to first time set it up?

Thank you for your help.

BR

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016

Well, I am not sure about this. How will the apple watch decide, that I am roaming, when the watch will be turned on only at my home country in slovakia. I just want to buy it in australia, where I am currently, so the first registration of the device will be in europe.

And my Iphone is in europe at the moment, which I am intended to pair with.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Well, I am not sure about this. How will the apple watch decide, that I am roaming, when the watch will be turned on only at my home country in slovakia. I just want to buy it in australia, where I am currently, so the first registration of the device will be in europe.

Roaming means, you will not be able to use the LTE functionality outside of your “Home” country of your provider. Calling via your watch connected to the iPhone is possible everywhere, including all the other functions.

The basic challenge is, to get the right model of the watch, if you ever intend to use LTE.

https://www.apple.com/de/watch/cellular/

Look at the table (sorry only found the info in German)

Getting the Australian model is fine for the already participating European countries. I don’t see any reason for a lockout - unless your provider will use the US model, which I highly doubt.

iso667

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2016
We have been speaking about that in this thread:

Apple Watch different country

Briefing it: you have three models: USA, China, EU.

Different models use different bands and frequencies.

If you buy one from a different zone, it is probably you won't be able to use it. But if you buy the one for your zone, I think you would be able to use.

I have bought mine in Switzerland hoping to use it later in Spain when they start deploying the service.

Australian model seems to be the same that the one we have in Europe so I think you could use it in the future in Slovakia, but it is up to you :)

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Unlike iPhone, there isn't a worldwide Apple Watch Series 3 model that supports all cellular bands used globally, so it isn't possible for Apple Watch to actually roam.

You should be just fine purchasing an Apple watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) in Australia. The Australian models are the same 2 models used in Europe.

Summary: Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) comes in three regional models – Americas, China, and Europe/Asia Pacific.

Dave

cserba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Thanks for the fast reply.

So this means, if in some time in the future, my carriers in Slovakia will decide that they will support eSIM, there is a huge possibility that the bought Australian LTE-GPS apple watch will work on my carriers (right now T-Mobile) bandwith which is 800 and 1800 MHz. Which is supported by the Australian model Model A1861?

Reactions: Vermifuge

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Thanks for the fast reply.

So this means, if in some time in the future, my carriers in Slovakia will decide that they will support eSIM, there is a huge possibility that the bought Australian LTE-GPS apple watch will work on my carriers (right now T-Mobile) bandwith which is 800 and 1800 MHz. Which is supported by the Australian model Model A1861?

I believe that is the consensus, tower is by no means a guarantee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.