Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 27, 2003
I have the (EF?) 28-90mm lens from my old EOS Kiss (aka EOS Rebel G) film camera. Does anyone know if it will work with a Canon dslr?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
All EOS cameras can use EF lenses, digital or not. It'll work.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
It will fit, but I've read that the anti-reflective coatings on the older EOS film lenses may be unsuitable for digital sensors. I have no direct or insider knowledge here, just what I've read. You'd best experiment with it and see if it is satisfactory for the way you shoot, before you use it for something important.

Source; by all means, debate if you think it is wrong, I only share it.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yes, it will work, but as you can see from this page, there are three versions of the lens, none of them much good. It's a budget lens with poor image quality, poor build quality, a rotating front element, and no stabilization. Used copies sell for as low as $45.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes, it will work, but as you can see from this page, there are three versions of the lens, none of them much good. It's a budget lens with poor image quality, poor build quality, a rotating front element, and no stabilization. Used copies sell for as low as $45.

As in most cheap kit lenses, reviewers mention that if you use it between f8 and f16, should be okay for now... :)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Why give an answer like that without explaining why the poster would not want to use it?

The point in using such lens might be to first buy a DSLR body as cheap as possible, then upgrade the lens later. What's wrong with that picture?

Oh yes, I know, it was a short answer but I would have thought most people could figure out what I was suggesting (low IQ). I could have written a longer response, but I fall between not answering internet questions that can be solved with a google, and answering properly - I answer them, but not particularly well.

As for buying a DSLR cheaply then upgrading the lens, it might be an idea if you were going to buy a good lens later and just wanted to learn the body but if you wanted to take photographs with it, honestly, I would buy one of the kits with the 18-55. The kit lenses don't cost that much when bundled and are much more appropriate, especially when the crop of APS-C cameras is taken into account.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It will fit, but I've read that the anti-reflective coatings on the older EOS film lenses may be unsuitable for digital sensors.

The effect is very small. What happens is that CCD sensors reflect some light back on the lens and some of this gets reflected back to the sensor. If the rear element has better coating this is minimized. But all lenses have coatings.

The lens in question is a low-cost kit lens for one of Canon's film cameras. It will work fine but is really not wide enough for the smaller frame size. 28mm was wide with a full frame camera but is almost a "normal" lens on a crop body.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
It will fit, but I've read that the anti-reflective coatings on the older EOS film lenses may be unsuitable for digital sensors.

a lot of lenses still aren't "designed for digital," so i don't think it's all that significant.

anything with "EF" or "EF-S" in its name will mount to an XSi.

Acsom

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
a lot of lenses still aren't "designed for digital," so i don't think it's all that significant.

anything with "EF" or "EF-S" in its name will mount to an XSi.

Well, I don't mind being wrong; it's happened a lot in my life, it'll happen again. If the OP is pleased with the results, that is what matters. I'd be happy to see some great shots posted!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.