Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeH0nch0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2020
Hi all, I was wondering if it was possible to damage these speakers by playing a sound too loud. Or if these speakers are limited so that damage wouldnt occur from such instances.

For example when listening to spotify on the computer - sometimes it will jump my phone volume to full volume (or whatever I have the spotify native volume control set to on my computer). And then when I open an app like instagram if its a reel or video the volume will be blaring. The reason for my question is that just happened and of course the video had some sort of boosted ear rape music to it. It would just suck to roach my brand new phone speakers like that. I usually try to avoid full volume but there are always instances where its unavoidable/not on purpose.

smooth0906

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
I would think so. If you're on a website and listening to a song that has a high output, with your iPhone 15 Pro cranked to the max, I can see possible damage to the phone speaker.

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
No. They were made to be put up to 100% otherwise that wouldn’t be an option. Go as loud as you like.
Incorrect, I’ve heard numerous family and friends phones after a year of ownership, their speakers crackling like crazy because they jack the volume way up on FaceTime and speaker phone calls. They 1000% will get damaged from max volume.

• Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
This is true, my wife often has the volume high, and have had numerous iPhones getting the speaker damaged

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
Depending on the frequency, volume and time at both, you can blow a speaker(s). A friend of mine ran his volume too high all the time and his speaker sound like crap compared to mine. The were damaged for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.