Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
I know Mac pro 2013 can use Samsung RAM to achieve 128GB RAM, I want to know the capacity of another ram provider such as Kingston. Thanks.

---------

03/01/21 update

I installed 4 32GB Crucial Memory into my Mac Pro, they work very well.

According to many cases and my situation, I think brand is not a problem to Mac pro 6,1.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_4e1.png
    fullsizeoutput_4e1.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I have 64gb 3rd part in mine. Has been flawless. Just m make sure you buy the correct ram.

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
I have 64gb 3rd part in mine. Has been flawless. Just m make sure you buy the correct ram.
Thank you. Which brand do you use? Mac Pro 2013 use Hynix, Elpida and Samsung ram, but those brand are more expansive than Kingston. So I want to know if other brand still work.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The Mac Pro 6,1 didn’t come with Samsung RAM, although Samsung RAM is fine. It came with the other two you mentioned along with Micron. The brand doesn’t matter, although I tend to favor genuine Apple RAM such as the Hynix. Just make sure it has the correct specs and that the DIMMs match.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I know Mac pro 2013 can use Samsung RAM to achieve 128GB RAM, I want to know the capacity of another ram provider such as Kingston. Thanks.

I know that OWC memory has gotten "mixed" reviews from people. However, OWC RAM has worked well for me.

I just ordered another 32GB RAM for my 2013 Mac Pro.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I know that OWC memory has gotten "mixed" reviews from people. However, OWC RAM has worked well for me.
As far as I'm concerned, these "mixed reviews" are not caused by a product not working well , but by the exorbitant price OWC puts on it.
AFAIK OWC buys RAM from another 3rd party , puts its name on it and sells it for a much higher price.

Last edited:

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
As far as I'm concerned, these "mixed reviews" are not caused by a product not working well , but by the exorbitant price OWC puts on it.
AFAIK OWC buys RAM from another 3rd party , puts its name on it and sells it for a much higher price.

What is your definition of "exorbitant" prices?

I don't think that OWC RAM prices are exorbitant.

richmlow

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
What is your definition of "exorbitant" prices?

I don't think that OWC RAM prices are exorbitant.

richmlow
Apparently we dont share the same opinion.
It's really not worth it (at least not to me) to get into this.
Nonetheless to answer your question: I wrote 2 phrases: phrase 1=statement and phrase2= clarification.

Last edited:

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
The Mac Pro 6,1 didn’t come with Samsung RAM, although Samsung RAM is fine. It came with the other two you mentioned along with Micron. The brand doesn’t matter, although I tend to favor genuine Apple RAM such as the Hynix. Just make sure it has the correct specs and that the DIMMs match.
ok, thank you.

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017

I just ordered another 32GB RAM for my 2013 Mac Pro.
thanks for your information, but it is not easy to buy OWC RAM in my country. on the other side, used server memory is cheaper than it. so I want to confirm the brand problem.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Apparently we dont share the same opinion.
It's really not worth it (at least not to me) to get into this.
Nonetheless to answer your question: I wrote 2 phrases: phrase 1=statement and phrase2= clarification.

OK...chill out. Nobody's asking you to "get into this."

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I bought 64gb on eBay years ago. Was super cheap and has worked flawlessly. Can’t remember the brand but wasn’t official Apple.
Mr of Ms Bunny

If you want to know the brand, just go to:

1. Apple - Far left

2. About This Mac

3. System Report

4. Memory

There you will find all your RAM listing Brand, Size, Part No., and Serial No.

Lou

Reactions: SkippyThorson

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Mr of Ms Bunny

If you want to know the brand, just go to:

1. Apple - Far left

2. About This Mac

3. System Report

4. Memory

There you will find all your RAM listing Brand, Size, Part No., and Serial No.

Lou
Thanks for the tip. The cheap ones from eBay are micron. I’ve had the 4x16gb for around two years without any issues. Also have a Samsung 1tb ssd in there too.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I just installed an OWC 32GB RAM upgrade into my 2013 Mac Pro. It now has a total of 64GB RAM and is
ready to run computationally intensive Mathematica programs (for research projects)!

richmlow

complaxneoda

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
An update about my Mac Pro’s RAM, I installed 4 32GB Crucial Memory into my Mac Pro, they work very well.

According to many cases and my situation, I think brand is not a problem to Mac pro 6,1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.