Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tropicalfluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
US
Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, Intel Iris 1536 MB graphics, and 128GB of Flash Storage.

I have a new job that requires more computing power and a lot more storage, but I have no money to buy a new computer. Besides, my mid-2014 is still working very well.

Is it possible to upgrade the RAM and storage economically without resorting to external storage like My Passport or cloud storage?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
You can upgrade them SSD, but I think you lose performance. Cannot upgrade the RAM.
The most cost effective method might be an external SSD?

What sort of computing power are we talking about?

tropicalfluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
US
You can upgrade them SSD, but I think you lose performance. Cannot upgrade the RAM.
The most cost effective method might be an external SSD?

What sort of computing power are we talking about?

I don't really know yet because I just started the new job. I will be handling & analyzing data, so I'm guessing that the 8GB of memory may get over-taxed.

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I don't really know yet because I just started the new job. I will be handling & analyzing all the data for the high school I work for, so I'm guessing that the 8GB of memory may get over-taxed. Also, much of the data is confidential so it needs to be encrypted and stored securely.

My gut feel is that storage space could be a concern, but processing power I think you’ll be ok. Encryption is simply not taxing these days. I have the 2015 which is a little faster, but not night and day. There’s nothing you’ve described that would make me concerned.

It would be a good idea to look for external SSD options and think about a data storage strategy, which data should be in which locations, but assuming you’re not already out of storage space I wouldn’t jump to anything just yet until you have a better idea of what exactly will be required.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I don't really know yet because I just started the new job. I will be handling & analyzing all the data for the high school I work for, so I'm guessing that the 8GB of memory may get over-taxed. Also, much of the data is confidential so it needs to be encrypted and stored securely.
You are starting a new job, working for a high school. Most likely, you will not need to depend on the computer that you may own, and the school should be providing you with a computer that can handle the task.
Also, the school may take a dim view (and so should you) of private data on a computer that is not controlled/owned by the school.
You need to do your job. Does the high school offer you any support (such as a more capable computer) as part of your job?

tropicalfluff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
US
My gut feel is that storage space could be a concern, but processing power I think you’ll be ok. Encryption is simply not taxing these days. I have the 2015 which is a little faster, but not night and day. There’s nothing you’ve described that would make me concerned.

It would be a good idea to look for external SSD options and think about a data storage strategy, which data should be in which locations, but assuming you’re not already out of storage space I wouldn’t jump to anything just yet until you have a better idea of what exactly will be required.

Thank you for the advice; I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.