Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
I am trying to make a decision if it is finally time to have only one device. As a teacher, I have had a MacBook Pro and an iPad pro for the last few years. With the new iPadOS 16 and the promise of stage manager changing the game with external monitors, I am thinking it is time to try. I know the iPad Pro is not necessarily at the point of being a full Mac replacement, however, I have barely used my MacBook. Is there anyone else who is currently working with the iPad Pro only without a Mac? If so, what are the positives and negatives?

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
You will get a wide variety of opinions. Some that can’t live without their macs and others that do everything on their iPads. It’s a very difficult question to answer as it‘s very unique to each individual’s needs. As for me I do 99% of things on my 12.9 iPad. Things like browsing, email, file management, budgeting in Excel, keeping in touch with co-workers via MS teams, FaceTime, etc.

I do have a windows laptop issued by my employer for the situations when I need to access windows legacy systems. But other than that it’s iPad all the way for me and it has now even crossed over into my professional life as well.

The positives? The versatility and the portability of the iPad. The negatives? Can’t think of any at the moment but I would say maybe not having a full fledged filing system (although the files app has improved).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kobra

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
You will get a wide variety of opinions. Some that can’t live without their macs and others that do everything on their iPads. It’s a very difficult question to answer as it‘s very unique to each individual’s needs. As for me I do 99% of things on my 12.9 iPad. Things like browsing, email, file management, budgeting in Excel, keeping in touch with co-workers via MS teams, FaceTime, etc.

I do have a windows laptop issued by my employer for the situations when I need to access windows legacy systems. But other than that it’s iPad all the way for me and it has now even crossed over into my professional life as well.

The positives? The versatility and the portability of the iPad. The negatives? Can’t think of any at the moment but I would say maybe not having a full fledged filing system (although the files app has improved).
This is great. Thanks! I really wish the full stage manager display support was out now to give it a try. I appreciate your feedback!

Reactions: outlawarth

Krypton Deer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
With the new iPadOS 16 and the promise of stage manager changing the game with external monitors, I am thinking it is time to try.....however, I have barely used my MacBook.
It appears you have both M1 iPad Pro and MacBook Pro (with Apple silicon?) on hand, and lack of external display support was the only obstacle for you to go iPad only. So lock away your MacBook and carry on with your iPad until some work cannot be done.

It's the other way around for me - my M2 MacBook Air is so good that I sold my A12Z iPad Pro 11. They've largely converged for general productivity. iPad Pro has Apple Pencil to annotate/sign; MacBook has better filing system and a proper camera position for FaceTime (very important to me).

My previous i7 MBP 15 sounded like a jet engine and ran out of battery mid-day.

Last edited:
Reactions: JGS312

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am trying to make a decision if it is finally time to have only one device. As a teacher, I have had a MacBook Pro and an iPad pro for the last few years. With the new iPadOS 16 and the promise of stage manager changing the game with external monitors, I am thinking it is time to try. I know the iPad Pro is not necessarily at the point of being a full Mac replacement, however, I have barely used my MacBook. Is there anyone else who is currently working with the iPad Pro only without a Mac? If so, what are the positives and negatives?
You can search the forum. A LOT of discussion on this subject. In summary, it depends on your work complexity and how far your tolerance on limitation vs simplicity.

Reactions: Booji and JGS312

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
Nope. Not until apple creates some macOS look alike OS.
the day they do that I’ll upgrade from 11 inch to the 13 inch.

Reactions: JGS312

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
It really depends on your specific workflow and how well the apps you need have been adapted to iPadOS. I second the advice to just forget the laptop and force yourself to use the ipad for everything until you can't do something. A very important point is that A LOT of the stuff you need can be done with the iPad, just only not in the way you are used to. You will need to set aside some time to explore, experiment and find out alternative ways (which might not be slower in the end, but it takes time to learn and refine).
I am a designer, so I'm bound to macOS for a lot of pro apps. I have an iPad pro because I need it for sketching, and besides that it was seldom used.
A few months ago I got a keyboard / trackpad combo and along with Stage Manager I have to say it expanded the range of stuff that I now can do, and in some cases prefer to do with the iPad.
Stage Manager is still in its infancy (buggy and sometimes weird) and need some time to get used to, but working with windows lets you simply do more in a way you're more used to.
In terms of pure ergonomics the lack of personalization of many trackpad gestures that I'm used on the macbook (like three fingers drag), is a bit annoying (and painful after some time), but YMMV.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
For me it does for like 99%.

I use it for recording and editing a podcast. Editing videos. Work, as every app we use is a webapp and outlook works well.
The external display support really helpes a lot for the laptop replacement feeling.

The only things I can’t do on my iPad is torrents and rapidWeaver.

But other than that. I’m solid with the iPad!
My setup
Thread 'Show your M1/2 iPad (with external display) setup'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/show-your-m1-2-ipad-with-external-display-setup.2365405/

I hope to see more setups. It's so inspiring when I look at other setups.

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
It really depends on your specific workflow and how well the apps you need have been adapted to iPadOS. I second the advice to just forget the laptop and force yourself to use the ipad for everything until you can't do something. A very important point is that A LOT of the stuff you need can be done with the iPad, just only not in the way you are used to. You will need to set aside some time to explore, experiment and find out alternative ways (which might not be slower in the end, but it takes time to learn and refine).
I am a designer, so I'm bound to macOS for a lot of pro apps. I have an iPad pro because I need it for sketching, and besides that it was seldom used.
A few months ago I got a keyboard / trackpad combo and along with Stage Manager I have to say it expanded the range of stuff that I now can do, and in some cases prefer to do with the iPad.
Stage Manager is still in its infancy (buggy and sometimes weird) and need some time to get used to, but working with windows lets you simply do more in a way you're more used to.
In terms of pure ergonomics the lack of personalization of many trackpad gestures that I'm used on the macbook (like three fingers drag), is a bit annoying (and painful after some time), but YMMV.
Really appreciate this! I downloaded the beta to give stage manager a try. You are absolutely correct, it really does expand the use of the iPad. I have not used my Mac in a week now and have not missed it for one thing. I think I am definitely going to stick to the iPad. Planning on upgrading soon.

Reactions: mr_jomo

JGS312

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2022
For me it does for like 99%.

I use it for recording and editing a podcast. Editing videos. Work, as every app we use is a webapp and outlook works well.
The external display support really helpes a lot for the laptop replacement feeling.

The only things I can’t do on my iPad is torrents and rapidWeaver.

But other than that. I’m solid with the iPad!
My setup
Thread 'Show your M1/2 iPad (with external display) setup'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/show-your-m1-2-ipad-with-external-display-setup.2365405/

I hope to see more setups. It's so inspiring when I look at other setups.
Love this! Thank you!

Reactions: Ultracyclist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.