Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Not really. I think there are adaptors to fit Nikon lenses to Canon (but not the other way) but you don't get autofocus or even electronic aperture control.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Is there a particular reason why you're not considering a mid-range Nikon? It would make more sense if you're looking for a new body that could share lenses with the D40.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Not really. I think there are adaptors to fit Nikon lenses to Canon (but not the other way) but you don't get autofocus or even electronic aperture control.

Oh alright, that's a real shame.

Is there a particular reason why you're not considering a mid-range Nikon? It would make more sense if you're looking for a new body that could share lenses with the D40.

Yeah definitely and that's what I would prefer to do, however the gf is into Canons and recently gave hers away to her brother - she's adamant it's a Canon she wants again. She prefers the colours taken with a Canon, personally I think Nikons are more accurate, but I don't want to start squabbling over it.

If I can persuade her to go Nikon before the purchase then life would be a lot easier, if not, well I don't want her to feel pressured into using a camera she doesn't really want.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
ah yes... love....things we do for it. Is it your camera or her camera? I mean are you going to use it as well? She gave hers away and now you have to buy a cam that would fit her desire? Where i come from there is a saying including another word for cat and a whip :)

Anyway, joking aside, I have to say that the menu system for me was a big change when i moved , briefly, into canon camp, so be aware of a learning curve on your part. The midrange DSLRs don't differ on paper that much but I would carefully argue the midrange lenses on the Nikon side are better than the midrange (excluding the awesome 100mm macro non-IS from canon) in the canon corner. Of course this statement will start a flamewar but I have used both and that is my experience.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Yeah definitely and that's what I would prefer to do, however the gf is into Canons and recently gave hers away to her brother - she's adamant it's a Canon she wants again. She prefers the colours taken with a Canon, personally I think Nikons are more accurate, but I don't want to start squabbling over it.

Profile and you'll get accurate colors no matter which body you use. It means processing the images before you use them, but you'll actually get accurate colors- I use the X-Rite passport to profile my sensors, and I can make two different sensors match color-wise.

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.