Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pagol

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2017
I am new user for mac. i have windows laptop too. i have back external hard disk which is working on windows fine. (NTFS) format.

i am tried many to copy file from my mac to hard disk but each type i tried it said "The target volume is read only." then make permission but same result. check my USB disk information.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 464

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I am new user for mac. i have windows laptop too. i have back external hard disk which is working on windows fine. (NTFS) format.

i am tried many to copy file from my mac to hard disk but each type i tried it said "The target volume is read only." then make permission but same result. check my USB disk information.
The Mac can read NTFS format drives but can not write to them without purchasing/installing 3rd party software.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
You can simply format your external drive as FAT32 or exFAT and it will work on both Windows and macOS. Try to follow the steps from this article: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/04/format-an-external-hard-drive-or-usb-flash-drive-for-mac-os-x/

I would recommend using exFAT and doing the reformat on a Windows machine.

FAT has limits on both volume size and file size that can be constraining. On exFAT those limits are more similar to those of NTFS. HFS+, ... so you aren't likely to encounter them.

Also, I've had several issues with drives formatted to exFAT using the macOS Drive Utility. I now use a Windows machine to do the format and reads and writes from both Windows and macOS work fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagol
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.