Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Hello, I just got a Power Mac G5 Dual(Late 2005) 2.0, and when I got it, everything seems to be Ok. But now, there is something wrong with the built-in speaker: No startup sound. I can not change the volume of it, but only keep it at the highest level. The changing spot is gray.

When I first got it, it has no memory nor storage. I installed an Samsung 870 and installed tiger on it. But when I shutdown and rebooted it 3 hours later, the machine could not found the SSD. I tried a lot of things including a complete reset of the nvram. Nothing helps. Finally I gave up and installed tiger on a HDD, and upgraded it to 10.4.11. Then I found that the speaker went wrong. All these things happened in the same day, and I could not remember the exact slot when the speaker goes wrong.

Is there any way to make it changeable again? Thanks a lot!

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Did you try a fresh install of Leopard ? The Samsung 870 might not read SATA I, I am not too sure though. But, as for volume issue try to install Leopard. Maybe your Tiger install is corrupted.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do you get a boot chime sound when you try an NVRAM reset?
Restart, while holding Option-Command-P-R.
Keep holding those keys while the G5 starts up. You should see the screen light up. You SHOULD hear a boot chime, continue to hold the same 4 keys. If you don't hear the boot chime, just keep holding the keys. Watch for the video to return to black, continue to hold the keys. It will continue to reset about every 20-30 seconds, and you will normally get a boot chime at each reset. Keep holding the same keys, continue for 2 or 3 minutes.
Do you ever get a boot chime during that reset time?

When you installed Tiger - did you hear the music that plays when the system is booting at the end of the install, and showing "Welcome" in various languages? You should hear a tune while it is displaying that video...

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Do you get a boot chime sound when you try an NVRAM reset?
Restart, while holding Option-Command-P-R.
Keep holding those keys while the G5 starts up. You should see the screen light up. You SHOULD hear a boot chime, continue to hold the same 4 keys. If you don't hear the boot chime, just keep holding the keys. Watch for the video to return to black, continue to hold the keys. It will continue to reset about every 20-30 seconds, and you will normally get a boot chime at each reset. Keep holding the same keys, continue for 2 or 3 minutes.
Do you ever get a boot chime during that reset time?

When you installed Tiger - did you hear the music that plays when the system is booting at the end of the install, and showing "Welcome" in various languages? You should hear a tune while it is displaying that video...
Hi there, thanks for your suggestion. Before I tried what you suggested, I heard no boot chime sound, but I DO heart the music of "welcome video" at highest level at the first reboot after installation. The key issue is that I could heard every sound except the boot chime one at highest volume from built-in speaker, whether the system is Tiger or leopard. I can not change it nor mute.

I followed your steps, and I can heard the boot chime every time except the first booting at highest level. The display always stay at dark, and the system would reboot about 20 seconds. Every time I can heard the boot chime. When I enter the system about 2 minutes later, the volume setting still gray, and when I try to reboot, the boot chime disappeared again. I don't know what happened...

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Try replacing the backup (PRAM) battery. It's probably a 2032

I would also suggest to download the Apple Service Diagnostics (ASD), which for your Late 2005 is version 2.6.3.
You can get the image for that from here - https://archive.org/details/asd.2.6.3
Use the image to burn an optical disk - I think that you only need a CD-R for that bootable diagnostic.
The disk will have two boot volumes, one is a full hardware test, and allows you to calibrate the temp sensors. The other volume tests the hardware's response to the operating system. Good to try both to see if there are any errors reported.
Keep in mind that the test will fail for non-Apple hardware installed, for example, if you try an SSD again.

You said the G5 came without RAM. What RAM did you install? If you have tried to max out the RAM, be sure to try it out with only a single pair of the correct PC2-4200 DIMMs (identical pair) installed in the proper slots (the center pair, slots 4 and 5)

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Hi DeltaMac, thanks a lot for your reply and help.
I downloaded the ASD, however it is an known issue that this version could not run OS test with Late 2005 Power Mac G5.
I tried to install the leopard again on ssd, and during the installation, the speaker plays some while-noise like sounds then silenced. I heard some white-noise like sound during the first reboot(where the boot chime should play), and I didn't heard the sound of the welcome video this time.
If I hit cmd+omd+p+r, there is no boot chime again. But if I try to do complete reseting in OF(reset-nvram, set-defaults, reset-all), then I could heard a boot chime ends up with something like white-noise, and then silenced again. Very Strange issues.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
When I hear odd noises from the boot chime - it can often be RAM-related.
That's why I asked about the RAM that you used...

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
When I hear odd noises from the boot chime - it can often be RAM-related.
That's why I asked about the RAM that you used...
I see. I used 1 pair of 2G PC-5300U on slot 4&5(One Samsung, One Hylix). I could not find PC-4200 RAMs now... They other rams I can found are 2G PC-5300E Hylix rams.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I did find this - https://smile.amazon.com/PC2-4200-DESKTOP-Modules-240-pin-Tech/dp/B00C53C7KG
also (a knowledgeable Mac tech supplier) - https://www.datamemorysystems.com/a...e-2-0ghz-m9590ll/a-late-2005-memory-upgrades/

(Did you mean "Hynix", and not "Hylix" ? )
Ram from different companies do not always play well together. Be sure to try each pair in slots 4 & 5, with only that pair installed. Maybe you already tried that, but you want to find out if the boot chime will sound, and if the Cmd-Opt-P-R will work correctly to reset (with the chime) three times, then will also chime during the next normal boot.

Did you also replace that 2032 battery? I can't say that it will help, but a dead (or low) battery can sometimes cause unusual boot issues, so worth a try.

Last edited:

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
I have replaced the 2032 battery, and tried all of my RAMs as you suggested. Nothing Changed.
Sorry, it should be "Hynix" rather than "Hylix".

And I found that's actually a failure of whole audio system rather than the built-in speaker. Once I plugged in an earphone, Tiger or Leopard could recognize it, but could not output audio through it nor change volume. It remains totally silent now. Even reset(combo keys or through OF) could not bring back the boot chime.

I may need to order some rams from the link, and then have a try.

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
I did find this - https://smile.amazon.com/PC2-4200-DESKTOP-Modules-240-pin-Tech/dp/B00C53C7KG
also (a knowledgeable Mac tech supplier) - https://www.datamemorysystems.com/a...e-2-0ghz-m9590ll/a-late-2005-memory-upgrades/

(Did you mean "Hynix", and not "Hylix" ? )
Ram from different companies do not always play well together. Be sure to try each pair in slots 4 & 5, with only that pair installed. Maybe you already tried that, but you want to find out if the boot chime will sound, and if the Cmd-Opt-P-R will work correctly to reset (with the chime) three times, then will also chime during the next normal boot.

Did you also replace that 2032 battery? I can't say that it will help, but a dead (or low) battery can sometimes cause unusual boot issues, so worth a try.
I found some 512MB Hynix PC2-4200U ram, and insert a pair of them on slot 4 and 5. Nothing changed. The whole system are still silent.

Besides, I found that if I use PC2-5300U or 5300E, the system only recognized them as PC2-3200. If I use 4200, then it could be recognized correctly.

I did not try to remove all the RAMs and Hard Disk, then reset to see whether the boot chime could come back or not. I might try it later.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you using a wired USB keyboard, and is it an Apple-brand keyboard?
Some, non-Apple, keyboards, particularly the cheaper ones, do not send the correct key commands to reset a Mac.
It's mostly an issue during boot. Keyboards that might not allow the keyboard combinations for resets may still work once you get to the desktop.
This is NOT saying that only Apple keyboards will work -- but that you should try an Apple wired keyboard if you have access to one, or at least be sure to try a major brand, such as a Logitech keyboard, etc.

shyshyshy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2022
Yes, I'm using a Apple Pro Keyboard. I could heard the sound from the machine so I could know that the reset was performed. But still silent.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Random thoughts now....
Did you check that the speaker/fan connectors are seated completely? The connector pair is 3 or 4 inches behind the speaker/fan, along the top edge of the logic board. (one 4-pin, and one 2-pin connector
If you don't get any sound from that front speaker now, and no control of the sound volume, even with a clean install of OS X, I would probably try another speaker, just as a test.
but, assuming a good speaker, and a fresh install, be sure to try a minimal hardware setup, NO cards in slots, other than whichever graphics card you have. One pair of RAM sticks, in slots 4 & 5, nothing plugged in, no network cables, nothing except a keyboard/mouse, and display. If you know that's all good, then all you have remaining is the logic board.
Does the graphics card have a separate power connector?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.