Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I’ve read this a while back here on the forum and would like to confirm if that’s the case because if it isn’t then I’ll just then off significant locations as I have no need for that feature whatsoever and could save whole battery life by disabling it while I’m at it

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Yes, it's required. From Apple's own support page:

If Optimized Battery Charging doesn't activate​

Optimized charging is designed to engage only in locations where you spend the most time, such as your home and place of work. The feature doesn't engage when your usage habits are more variable, such as when you travel. Because of this, some location settings must be enabled for Optimized Battery Charging to activate.* None of the location information used for this feature is sent to Apple.

Follow these steps:
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services and turn on Location Services.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services and turn on System Customization.
  • Go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Significant Locations and turn on Significant Locations.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
Yes, that is what Apple publishes, but I've been using Optimized Battery Charging in the past with Significant Locations turned off from iOS 13 with it "mostly" working. Rarely but sometimes an update will break it though.

Was working fine on iOS 17 until either 17.5 or 17.6 broke it and I had to turn on Significant Locations for it to work again but it worked on older iOS 17 versions. I've just left it on and notice no additional battery drain.

Here's a post stating iOS 18.0 works with Sig.Locations turned off. I haven't tried it myself though.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It (80% limit with Significant Locations turned off) was working for me all the way through 17.6.1 on a 15PM. I turned Significant Locations back on with my new 16PM. I'll turn it off and see what happens tonight.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It (80% limit with Significant Locations turned off) was working for me all the way through 17.6.1 on a 15PM. I turned Significant Locations back on with my new 16PM. I'll turn it off and see what happens tonight.
The 80% Limit is something else. It's not the same thing as Optimized Charging and isn't dependent on Significant Locations. Optimized Charging is when it charges to 80% and then finishes charging to 100% shortly before it predicts you'll be using the phone (i.e. right before you wake up). It does this when it senses your charging routine in a familiar place.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
The 80% Limit is something else. It's not the same thing as Optimized Charging and isn't dependent on Significant Locations. Optimized Charging is when it charges to 80% and then finishes charging to 100% shortly before it predicts you'll be using the phone (i.e. right before you wake up). It does this when it senses your charging routine in a familiar place.
...and the two are mutually exclusive. If you have Optimized Charging on, you can't use the 80% (or whatever) limit. If you're using the Charging Limit, you can't use Optimized Charging.

Reactions: iStorm

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I turned off Significant Locations yesterday and Optimized Charging is still working. I didn't clear the history and just left it there.

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
It's required, but for me, Optimized Charging has never worked.

dallastigers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
TX
I’ve read this a while back here on the forum and would like to confirm if that’s the case because if it isn’t then I’ll just then off significant locations as I have no need for that feature whatsoever and could save whole battery life by disabling it while I’m at it
The overnight charge limit of 80% until close to wake-up and/or normal use of phone works for me with significant locations turned off. If I wake up and check something on phone there is a Lock Screen notification giving me a time it will fully charged or something like that. Overnight is the only time optimizing charging operates.

I don’t know if it only works at home overnight or does it every night regardless of my location as I never looked at it elsewhere.

Home address is in contacts and also appears on Maps, so it theoretically could be limited to home address even with significant locations turned off and not happen overnight anywhere else. I just don’t know.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Does anyone know if the behavior that guides optimized charging would transfer to a new iPhone? Since getting my iPhone 16 Pro I don’t think I’ve seen optimized charging yet.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Does anyone know if the behavior that guides optimized charging would transfer to a new iPhone? Since getting my iPhone 16 Pro I don’t think I’ve seen optimized charging yet.
No. The new phone has to "learn" your charging habits from scratch. I used Optimized Charging on my 13 Pro for quite a while, but now my 16 Pro is still learning and isn't using it yet.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
The overnight charge limit of 80% until close to wake-up and/or normal use of phone works for me with significant locations turned off. If I wake up and check something on phone there is a Lock Screen notification giving me a time it will fully charged or something like that. Overnight is the only time optimizing charging operates.

I don’t know if it only works at home overnight or does it every night regardless of my location as I never looked at it elsewhere.

Home address is in contacts and also appears on Maps, so it theoretically could be limited to home address even with significant locations turned off and not happen overnight anywhere else. I just don’t know.
I was away for the weekend and it still worked overnight with significant locations turned off.

Reactions: dallastigers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.