Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I have just tested this with some friends with an iPhone 7, iPhone 6s and it works great, but not sure if it will work with other users with iPhone 6, 5 SE, 5s.

Would be great to know. Please share your experience.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
There is no group facetime. It was re,oved during the beta process for ios 12 and supposed to be added back in a later release.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Damn that's a disappointment. So what happens when somebody with an iPhone 7 starts a group facetime and there happens to be an iPhone 6 user in the list?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
They can only do FaceTime Audio. They don‘t see a the other participamts.

I see. I think you’re right. Because I started a Group FaceTime call and while i’m Able to see others join on video. My friend whose on an IP6 didn’t see my other friend who was on video. Only I was able to see.

So it seems like that users with IP6 can use Group FaceTime but audio only and no video functions.

Does anyone know if iPhone 5 SE is the same?

hungx

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Davis, CA
I see. I think you’re right. Because I started a Group FaceTime call and while i’m Able to see others join on video. My friend whose on an IP6 didn’t see my other friend who was on video. Only I was able to see.

So it seems like that users with IP6 can use Group FaceTime but audio only and no video functions.

Does anyone know if iPhone 5 SE is the same?
Scroll to the end of this article.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-group-facetime-in-ios-12/

The iPhone SE supports Group FaceTime. The iPhone 5 does not support iOS 12 and thus does not support this feature.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Thanks, it mentions that it's a beta limitation so there's a possibility that when it comes out of beta it could fully work on those older devices such as iP6, IP5SE, etc.

Beta Limitations
During the iOS 12.1 beta testing period, Group FaceTime is limited to the iPhone 6s, iPhone SE, iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, and later devices.

On the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPad Air, audio is the only available option for Group FaceTime, with video unavailable.

The Camera Effects feature in FaceTime is available on iPhone 7 or later and is not available on iPad during the beta.

This how-to was last updated on October 3, 2018 to address Group FaceTime's removal from iOS 12.0 and subsequent reintroduction in the iOS 12.1 beta.

bernoulli

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018
England
All parties neeed to be on iOS 12. FaceTime video group call require A9 processor or above, otherwise you just get FaceTime audio group call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.