Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highrisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I have a tv with 4k 120hz through hdmi 2.1 do you think it will be possible to use two 4.0 thunderbolt ports on the Mac studio and somehow end up with 2.1 hdmi connected to the tv in order to run 4k at 120hz?

highrisk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Yes indeed it must be a 2.0 HDMI. but I'm thinking of not using the HDMI and using two of the thunderbolt 4 ports if in any way possible. Probably even if it would be possible theoretically though apple would put a software limitation somewhere...

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
On my 14" M1Pro base model, even with a known-good type-C to HDMI 2.1 dongle, I couldn't get it to display 4K120Hz to an LG OLED TV. I gave up trying but a short google and someone suggested it is the chipset PCI bandwidth limitation that's in play, or something in macOS that is limiting this in software. I have no idea how true that is, but with M1 Ultra being 4x of what my base M1Pro is I am hopeful this makes the difference.

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
how about using type-c to hdmi that supports 4k 120hz. I wonder if it'll work, although I saw comments that it didn't for MacBook pros

Grippy98

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2022
Dallas, TX
@ph001bi That's not actually the full picture. You don't need 48GB/s to support 4k @120HZ, even with HDR. DisplayPort for example can do that since DP1.3 with only 30GB/s. The the LG CX and C1 are both limited to 40GB/s regardless of platform over HDMI 2.1 yet they work just fine to do 4K @120Hz HDR, 10 bit with VRR on Windows Machines.

There are other threads that talk about this, but this is entirely a Mac OS limitation since on older Intel Macs, you were able to use the same adapters to get 4K 120Hz over HDMI2.1 (via certain USB-C adapters) in Windows via bootcamp. That's of course not an option on M1, but it shows that the limit was MacOS and not a physical limitation by any stretch.

Just thought It'd leave this bit of info here for someone reading. I don't want to give false hope for people, but it is entirely something that could be patched by Apple. It's unbelievable they haven't done it already to be quite frank and irks me. It makes my LG CX very limited at 60Hz compared to the same experience with my desktop at 120Hz and it's especially jarring since my 14" M1 Pro also has a 120Hz screen.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
@ph001bi That's not actually the full picture. You don't need 48GB/s to support 4k @120HZ, even with HDR. DisplayPort for example can do that since DP1.3 with only 30GB/s. The the LG CX and C1 are both limited to 40GB/s regardless of platform over HDMI 2.1 yet they work just fine to do 4K @120Hz HDR, 10 bit with VRR on Windows Machines.

There are other threads that talk about this, but this is entirely a Mac OS limitation since on older Intel Macs, you were able to use the same adapters to get 4K 120Hz over HDMI2.1 (via certain USB-C adapters) in Windows via bootcamp. That's of course not an option on M1, but it shows that the limit was MacOS and not a physical limitation by any stretch.

Just thought It'd leave this bit of info here for someone reading. I don't want to give false hope for people, but it is entirely something that could be patched by Apple. It's unbelievable they haven't done it already to be quite frank and irks me. It makes my LG CX very limited at 60Hz compared to the same experience with my desktop at 120Hz and it's especially jarring since my 14" M1 Pro also has a 120Hz screen.
I don't have a proper HDMI 2.1 TB adapter so I can't test it, but, I will say that my TB->DisplayPort adapter is working perfectly fine to give me 120hz 4k with VRR on my Acer XV273K display from my Mac Studio. It also worked with my M1 iMac. The OS is obviously happy to support this combination with DisplayPort. I don't see why they would limit it with HDMI assuming your adapter was up to the task (most are just trash though.)

Edit: I guess I should also add that I don't have a display that supports HDMI 2.1 either. There are plenty of 4k 120hz displays out there that have HDMI 2.0 ports and can't do 4k @ 120hz via HDMI regardless of what the computer hooked up to it can do. So the problem can be on either side.

Grippy98

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2022
Dallas, TX
I don't have a proper HDMI 2.1 TB adapter so I can't test it, but, I will say that my TB->DisplayPort adapter is working perfectly fine to give me 120hz 4k with VRR on my Acer XV273K display from my Mac Studio. It also worked with my M1 iMac. The OS is obviously happy to support this combination with DisplayPort. I don't see why they would limit it with HDMI assuming your adapter was up to the task (most are just trash though.)

Edit: I guess I should also add that I don't have a display that supports HDMI 2.1 either. There are plenty of 4k 120hz displays out there that have HDMI 2.0 ports and can't do 4k @ 120hz via HDMI regardless of what the computer hooked up to it can do. So the problem can be on either side.
Yes, the limitation is specifically with HDMI 2.1 adapters, and 100% an OS limitation. A monitor that would do 4K 120Hz on an M1 Mac over DisplayPort won't do the same on HDMI regardless of DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. It's unfortunate on LG's OLEDs because they're 10 bit panels that do VRR, 4K 120Hz and are awesome, but Macs are limited to 60Hz.

Snollygoster

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2006
Athens, Greece
Has anyone tried this?

The company claims that it is made for MacBooks.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Has anyone tried this?

The company claims that it is made for MacBooks.

Did you read the “important notes”? They’re important notes after all. 😉
Important Notes
  • All Macbook, Macbook Pro, and Mac Mini with Apple M1 or Intel chips can only support a maximum resolution of 4K@60 Hz

itswenb

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Reactions: Pressure

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
A new solution here, their technicians tell me that this product supports 4k@120hz in MacOS(As long as the device supports DisplayPort Alt Mode ), gonna have a try and will update here.

Sorry, found this little line hidden in the Kensington docs: "The maximum resolution on Mac is 4K @ 60Hz."

Once again, Apple is forcing us to buy M2Pro models if you want HDMI 2.1, even with converter/adapter cables, macOS is somehow preventing adapters from working properly. Meanwhile cheap windows laptops can do HDMI 4K120 all day with this adapter.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Sorry, found this little line hidden in the Kensington docs: "The maximum resolution on Mac is 4K @ 60Hz."

Once again, Apple is forcing us to buy M2Pro models if you want HDMI 2.1, even with converter/adapter cables, macOS is somehow preventing adapters from working properly. Meanwhile cheap windows laptops can do HDMI 4K120 all day with this adapter.
Right.

So question - what does that mean about the theoretical promotion display that is rumored to be in the near future? Are we to think that no M1P/M machine will be able to drive it? So 2020 MBP and 2022 Studio are excluded from potential buyers of the device? I'm pretty perplexed by this one.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

And this is my biggest concern with getting the Studio over the Mini. I use an LG OLED as my main display and I'm NOT going back to 60hz. It hurts my head now.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
And this is my biggest concern with getting the Studio over the Mini. I use an LG OLED as my main display and I'm NOT going back to 60hz. It hurts my head now.
Yeah it's killing me that I can't get the Studio if I want 4K120 as the M2Pro Mini is a worse value than a discounted Mac Studio.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
I’m in the same boat. Can’t believe there is not a dongle that works.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Yeah it's killing me that I can't get the Studio if I want 4K120 as the M2Pro Mini is a worse value than a discounted Mac Studio.
This is a super confusing topic.

If I read your comment correctly, you want 4K at a high refresh rate (120 Hz or higher). Check out this thread and read posts #125 and #133. This isn’t inconsistent with the specs that Apple provides for the Studio (and M1x MBPs). They say a 5K display at 60Hz via TB4 but make no comment on 4K via TB4.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
This is a super confusing topic.

If I read your comment correctly, you want 4K at a high refresh rate (120 Hz or higher). Check out this thread and read posts #125 and #133. This isn’t inconsistent with the specs that Apple provides for the Studio (and M1x MBPs). They say a 5K display at 60Hz via TB4 but make no comment on 4K via TB4.

Your comment is all about thunderbolt which is different.

I have a 42” OLED monitor, which only has hdmi inputs. This means that there is no way to get 120hz output from the Mac Studio. This is the only thing that has kept me from buying (returned one when released over this issue). I’m hoping a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter will allow for 120hz at 4k. The Mac mini m2 has this feature. Maybe the Studio M2 will follow suite.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Your comment is all about thunderbolt which is different.

I have a 42” OLED monitor, which only has hdmi inputs. This means that there is no way to get 120hz output from the Mac Studio. This is the only thing that has kept me from buying (returned one when released over this issue). I’m hoping a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter will allow for 120hz at 4k. The Mac mini m2 has this feature. Maybe the Studio M2 will follow suite.
Ahh. Thanks for the clarification. Didn't realize you were discussing a TV that doesn't have any inputs other than HDMI. I think you are right that an M2M Studio will almost surely have an HDMI 2.1 port. It's pretty lame that the current one doesn't.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
This limitation is for us crazy people who like using 42/48/55/Or bigger hehe LG OLED TVs on our desks as monitors. The biggest issue with them is they only have HDMI 2.1 inputs. If they accepted DP or TB inputs, we wouldn't have this debate as even the M1 MBA supports 4K120 using a USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter. MacOS has some weird limitation on gimping any kind of USB-C to HDMI dongle. Even USB-C to DP to HDMI doesn't work nor will TB3/TB4 to HDMI work.
I say it's a MacOS limitation as when I plug in my 2019 Intel MBP 16 to a TB3 eGPU enclosure with a AMD 6600XT video card that has HDMI 2.1 ports, I'm still locked at 4K60. Even a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 dongle is still locked.
As soon as I run Win11 boot camp on my MBP 16, I'm able to get 4K120 out of the same HDMI port on the eGPU.
It's infuriating!

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
..... If they accepted DP or TB inputs, we wouldn't have this debate as even the M1 MBA supports 4K120 using a USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter. .......
Anybody knows the maximum at 4K for M1 MAX Studio using a USB-C connection to the monitor?
4K@144, 4K@240,..?

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
A bit late but finally made progress!

4k@120 RGB 10bit works with the Cable Matters adapter with the VMM6100

Works on my C9 on my M1 Macbook Air and Mac Studio Ultra

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.