Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotta

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
A friend of mine was holding my camera and snapped several piks. some of them came out with this disgusting thing that u see in these images. dont know if this has anything to do with it, but it was bright out and very humid. i have a d3 with 70-200mm vr.

Can anyone please chime in???

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's in the sensor or more likely from the looks of it the CCD electronics. Notice how it only happens in the highlights.
Sorry to say, but this is not going to be an in-expensive repair.

emotta

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
im sending it in to nikon for repair under warrenty. however, how good are they with pin pointing the problem. it hasnt happened since then. i only have warrenty till about july i think. if they cant recreate the problem would they still replace the sensor anyway???

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
im sending it in to nikon for repair under warrenty. however, how good are they with pin pointing the problem. it hasnt happened since then. i only have warrenty till about july i think. if they cant recreate the problem would they still replace the sensor anyway???

Send samples of your photos, including the complete EXIF data and how the camera was set when taking the photos. Also, make sure that you keep the repairs paperwork. It seems to me that if it happens again it would be a reoccurring problem you can argue with Nikon, even if out of warranty.

But who knows? Maybe a firmware update would solve the problem, or even using another memory card. The only way they can repair it is if they can duplicate the malfunction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.