Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNeedHelpPlzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
I didn't cry but I felt like it when a glass of milk spilled all over the table my MacBook was on. The milk didn't land on it but there was enough of a puddle the milk still got into it before I could save it. My first mistake was trying to turn it on afterwards. It didn't turn on and the charger had a very faint green glow. So I let it dry off and I've disconnected the battery and everything. I straight up admit that I'm a bit of a mug and really need help on how to approach this. Will my MacBook work again if I clean it with rubbing alcoholic stuff?

Attachments

• IMAG0637.jpg
    IMAG0637.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 419

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Wow, outside of really hazardous materials, I don't think you could have picked out any liquid that would be more effective at damaging your logic board (hot chocolate might be worse, red wine also probably worse... Well, cola drinks, too ... )

You would need to remove the logic board completely from your MacBook case. Clean both side carefully with alcohol.
I like to use the higher-strength 91% (from a drug store) for good cleaning.
The only way you will know is to try the cleaning.

From the look of the "coating", I suspect that you may only end up with a clean logic board, that still is damaged.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I didn't cry but I felt like it when a glass of milk spilled all over the table my MacBook was on. The milk didn't land on it but there was enough of a puddle the milk still got into it before I could save it. My first mistake was trying to turn it on afterwards. It didn't turn on and the charger had a very faint green glow. So I let it dry off and I've disconnected the battery and everything. I straight up admit that I'm a bit of a mug and really need help on how to approach this. Will my MacBook work again if I clean it with rubbing alcoholic stuff?

It won't hurt to try what member DeltaMac suggested. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. But after looking at that logic board from the image you provided, you would have to be real lucky if it ever works again. :oops:

iNeedHelpPlzz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2016
2 years on update. I tried cleaning the logic board with alcohol like Deltamac suggested. the macbook still wouldn't turn on. However I randomly tried turning it on 8 months later and for some reason it worked and has been since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.