Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The game will run, though I don't think very satisfactory. That model has an integrated GPU, and a slow hard drive.

I'm not familiar with WOW, but given the fact that iMacs are not great gaming rigs, and this model is not the highest end of the iMacs, I'm fairly sure it won't run it too well.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
World of Warcraft isn't an overly demanding game so either will run it, but on the 1.6 GHz model you'll probably have to use fairly low settings. You should be able to run it with higher setting on the 2.8 Ghz model as aside from the faster CPU it also has a better GPU (still integrated though).

INeedHelp54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
World of Warcraft isn't an overly demanding game so either will run it, but on the 1.6 GHz model you'll probably have to use fairly low settings. You should be able to run it with higher setting on the 2.8 Ghz model as aside from the faster CPU it also has a better GPU (still integrated though).
Sorry, so simply put, the 2.8 GHz is faster and better in general, not only for World of Warcraft, than the 1.6 one? I'm figuring it's a thousand dollar investment, might as well buy a decent one being the 2.8.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
This is just my opinion.... but if you're going to buy an iMac and want to play games, buy the low end 27" retina 5K model which has discrete graphics and upgradeable memory. The 21.5" models are not upgradeable after purchase.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Definitely, the upgrade from the base 1.6 Ghz model to the middle 2.8 Ghz model is substantial (not just in clock speed, you are moving from a dual core laptop processor to a quad core desktop processor). The other thing I definitely recommend is upgrading the hard drive to either a Fusion Drive or Flash Storage, it will make a huge difference is now "snappy" your Mac will feel.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Sorry, so simply put, the 2.8 GHz is faster and better in general, not only for World of Warcraft, than the 1.6 one? I'm figuring it's a thousand dollar investment, might as well buy a decent one being the 2.8.
You might want to consider a 4K iMac for $1,199.99. Best Buy had them on sale a couple of days ago.

INeedHelp54

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2016
Definitely, the upgrade from the base 1.6 Ghz model to the middle 2.8 Ghz model is substantial (not just in clock speed, you are moving from a dual core laptop processor to a quad core desktop processor). The other thing I definitely recommend is upgrading the hard drive to either a Fusion Drive or Flash Storage, it will make a huge difference is now "snappy" your Mac will feel.
I'll look into all of this, Thanks for your help, appreciate it!
[doublepost=1463379606][/doublepost]
This is just my opinion.... but if you're going to buy an iMac and want to play games, buy the low end 27" retina 5K model which has discrete graphics and upgradeable memory. The 21.5" models are not upgradeable after purchase.
Yea I'll look into this one. Thanks
[doublepost=1463379643][/doublepost]
You might want to consider a 4K iMac for $1,199.99. Best Buy had them on sale a couple of days ago.
Yea that's where I'm looking. What's the difference between a 4k and the other option if you could?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I would never recommend the 21" iMac for gaming due to the integrated graphic card. You are buying a machine that can only run WOW at low end settings, and it is by no means future proof. Get a 27" with a dedicated card, even an older model.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.