Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Hi,

I noticed the lightning charging cable i've been using on my Iphone Xr (and somebody else's Iphone SE) doesnt' work with my one week old Iphone 11.
It's confirmed it is the cable as the same cable doesn't charge another Iphone 11 as well.

However in the process of figuring things out I went ahead and cleaned the port with a toothpick. I've been careful but thorough.

I'm now a bit anxious I might have damaged the port. There is no damage at all, it's me just being paranoid that using a toothpick might somewhat bend pins or damage them and thus reduce the lifetime of the port. Probably me just being paranoid?

Reactions: ACB 123

ACB 123

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Hi,

I noticed the lightning charging cable i've been using on my Iphone Xr (and somebody else's Iphone SE) doesnt' work with my one week old Iphone 11.
It's confirmed it is the cable as the same cable doesn't charge another Iphone 11 as well.

However in the process of figuring things out I went ahead and cleaned the port with a toothpick. I've been careful but thorough.

I'm now a bit anxious I might have damaged the port. There is no damage at all, it's me just being paranoid that using a toothpick might somewhat bend pins or damage them and thus reduce the lifetime of the port. Probably me just being paranoid?
My iPhone stopped charging and I cleaned port with tooth pick and all is well. I've heard of other people doing same with no problem ...

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
I've done it a number of times on various phones, works well. I do have one of those USB microscope so I can see in the port and check all is cleaned out though, amazing how much stuff gets stuck in them.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Thanks, I'm sure it's fine, and being one week old there was virtually nothing to clean.
It turns out it was the cable, not the phone.

I'm just curious how sturdy the pins are, in case using a toothpick might've damaged them :)

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It's better to use a clean toothbrush occasionally to keep it clean. I've used both. If you get yourself a magnifying glass and hold the port at just the right angle to the light, you can see everything inside very clearly- if it's clean or not.
A toothpick is needed to pull lint out that has jammed into the bottom of the port. For everything else, try a toothbrush

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
It's a brand new phone, I used a cable with a dirty connector and assumed the phone wouldn't charge because of the applied dirt. It turns out it was the cable itself which doesn't work on iphone 11 phones.

However I didn't know that this morning, so I used a toothpick and not too carefully either, I was careful enough but applied pressure on the pins whilst taking out the toothpick in the hope to remove any grime, and repeated the same for all pins. I then used compressed air.

It's working perfectly and the port looks pristine, but I feel a bit anxious. I'm planning to keep this iphone for a number of years and I'm now a little worried about having affected the port durability.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Only time a I’ve had issue with a linty socket was with the iPhone 3GS. I took a sticky note, folded the sticky corner and just used that to get it all out. Worked a charm.

Reactions: Consultant

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Update: it's all good, it works like a charm with every cable I tried.
IT guy at the company I work for confirmed toothpick was ok to use.

i'll post another question separately

ty

LIFE :OP

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Banka, India
[QUOTE="luckyluca, post: 28015052, member: 1162714"how is it now because I also cleaned it toothpick mine is just 3 months old is there any problem .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.