Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Seems like only 2 columns max, with up to 2 apps in each column, is that right? So 4 total? Or am I missing something?

I want 3 columns, and, I want to be able to customize how much of a given column an app takes up. Other than 50/50 so e.g. 67/33 or 75/25. Is that not a thing?

I need 3 because of my workflow, and because I use an ultrawide monitor which comfortably fits 3 columns at the pixel-width that a typical monitor would only fit 2.

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Seems like only 2 columns max, with up to 2 apps in each column, is that right? So 4 total? Or am I missing something?

I want 3 columns, and, I want to be able to customize how much of a given column an app takes up. Other than 50/50 so e.g. 67/33 or 75/25. Is that not a thing?
I don't see a way to customize the number of columns. maybe someday.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
Disappointed in this feature, I must say. The windows don't take up the full space, the way it works is clunky, and there's limited customization.

Third party app developers can rest easy.

There doesn't seem to be a way to "turn off" the automatic "snapping" or resizing as you drag windows around, no matter what I change in Settings.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Disappointed in this feature, I must say. The windows don't take up the full space, the way it works is clunky, and there's limited customization.

Third party app developers can rest easy.

There doesn't seem to be a way to "turn off" the automatic "snapping" or resizing as you drag windows around, no matter what I change in Settings.
Agreed it's half baked at best.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
I already used bettersnaptool so this doesnt add any utility to me, now it just annoys me because I this stupid border around my windows now effectively making my monitor smaller. There's no way to disable it?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I already used bettersnaptool so this doesnt add any utility to me, now it just annoys me because I this stupid border around my windows now effectively making my monitor smaller. There's no way to disable it?
Yes in Settings -> search for Window Tiling -> scroll down to the 3 toggles related to tiling

Reactions: igneousc

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
ahhh yes thank you. I have no clue why they needed margins by default
The whole thing is half-baked in general. Not even sure why they bothered. I wonder if this gets further developed or left to wither on the vine.

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
It’s fine for many of us who have realistic expectations. 2 side by side windows is by far the majority of people’s use case. No one is stopping you using a third party solution. No matter what options were available, some would find a reason to complain.

Reactions: n-evo

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The whole thing is half-baked in general. Not even sure why they bothered. I wonder if this gets further developed or left to wither on the vine.
So far I find window tiling pretty useful and already been using it a lot the past week. I for one am glad they “bothered”.

Reactions: Exclave

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
So far I find window tiling pretty useful and already been using it a lot the past week. I for one am glad they “bothered”.
its a great feature that should have been here years ago. Bettersnaptool has had it as a paid app feature for years and its a cheap app. Better late than never though

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Rectangle is free and way more powerful FWIW. There's a paid version that offers more customization, but the free version already far outpaces what Apple did here.

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
Yes. Everyone one is aware there are other options. Some of us prefer built in solutions. Especially when they are powerful enough for most people.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Yes. Everyone one is aware there are other options. Some of us prefer built in solutions. Especially when they are powerful enough for most people.
Agreed. Having a myriad of options doesn't automatically make a feature accessible or usable for the majority of users.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Agreed. Having a myriad of options doesn't automatically make a feature accessible or usable for the majority of users.
Huh? That’s exactly what rectangle does. It’s no more complex than apples current iteration to use in parallel fashion. In fact if anything apple’s is more complex and confusing given the questions already asked in this thread (and on Reddit where there’s a similar discussion and confusion about how to use the in-built option). No such confusion with rectangle.

But sure guys bang the drum.

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
Huh? That’s exactly what rectangle does. It’s no more complex than apples current iteration to use in parallel fashion. In fact if anything apple’s is more complex and confusing given the questions already asked in this thread (and on Reddit where there’s a similar discussion and confusion about how to use the in-built option). No such confusion with rectangle.

By virtue of being built in, Apples solution is more simple. It contains plenty of options for many people.

Those who want more are free to use third party options. No one has lost anything.

Not sure why some are so offended by differing opinions.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I don't really understand the confusion tbh, except for maybe the additional margins that are turned on by default. But then again, I don't really get why self-proclaimed power users seem to lack the ability to take a minute to look around System Settings. Beyond that the feature works pretty straightforward?

Be a good sport and try to be less annoyed by opinions that differ from your own.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
By virtue of being built in, Apples solution is more simple. It contains plenty of options for many people.

Those who want more are free to use third party options. No one has lost anything.

Not sure why some are so offended by differing opinions.
I’m not offended, though why you’re such a dog with a bone about this is beyond me.

The issue is that you’re conflating simplicity in terms of features - which Apple’s is - with simplicity in terms of ease of use, which Apple’s is not per the questions and confusion here and on reddit. No such confusion with rectangle. It just works and just works well.

As to where the confusion comes from, can’t say. Maybe they’re not power users or maybe it’s not as straightforward as some of you are presuming.

Exclave

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2024
I’m not offended, though why you’re such a dog with a bone about this is beyond me.
You are mistaken. I am happy for anyone to use whatever makes them happy. It is you that is offended that someone might disagree with your love for Rectangle, and prefer the built in option.
The issue is that you’re conflating simplicity in terms of features - which Apple’s is - with simplicity in terms of ease of use,
No. The issue is that you are upset people disagree with you. Apple’s built in solution is for most of its users. Leaving the more complex needs to be served by others.
which Apple’s is not per the questions and confusion here and on reddit.
Those people certainly would have even more problems with Rectangle or similar apps. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. The ones confused by the built in solution are people who are unlikely to be looking for a tiling solution. How do I know that? I know it because Rectangle uses exactly the same methods for tiling: screen regions, dragging and keyboard shortcuts.

You can’t seriously tell me people find this easier than the built in solution.
1726937862412.png

No such confusion with rectangle. It just works and just works well.
There is and would be a great deal of confusion for users similarly confused by the Sequoia solution. Look at it…the rectangle window above is a disaster. “Fourths and Sixths”. Smh. I guarantee the number of people who need sixths is a fraction of a percent.
As to where the confusion comes from, can’t say. Maybe they’re not power users or maybe it’s not as straightforward as some of you are presuming.
It is less confusing than your solution. Most Mac users will just be unfamiliar with the concept.

I admire your dedication to Rectangle. Please continue to use it and allow the rest of us not to care if we choose.

Reactions: n-evo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.