Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. If I fresh install Windows 11 (and reinstall everything) can my File History by Windows 10, can be restored to Windows 11 with my Windows 10 File History/backup drive, overnight (I plan to do it at night before sleeping) and it's compatible?

God bless, Revelation 21:4

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
im sure you need to drag everything -file related- because you are starting fresh.

"And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old. And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish. But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved."
—Luke 5:36-38

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
im sure you need to drag everything -file related- because you are starting fresh.

"And he spake also a parable unto them; No man putteth a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then both the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old. And no man putteth new wine into old bottles; else the new wine will burst the bottles, and be spilled, and the bottles shall perish. But new wine must be put into new bottles; and both are preserved."
—Luke 5:36-38
Hi thanks. It's not like our awesome, (as Mac users) Time Machine then? That's sad, how am I going to update the company's business computer to Windows 11, without disruption the daily workflow (I only have the overnight time to do it, 8 hour window).

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I'm happy to say, it's compatible. I just had to do some calculated risks and the risk paid of well. Windows 11 is restoring all my files and documents, all at the same time with just one click of a button, just fine with a Windows 10 File History (you have to press from Previous File History before you Turn it On).

Windows 11 is more responsive. I do however have to reinstall all apps, hopefully they all Windows 10 apps are all compatible. It has a bit of advantage compared to restoring with Time Machine (but Time Machine is more elegant) coz' you can restore everything after you've booted to Windows 11.

It's best to update Windows 11 first, then turn off the internet and networking, not install any anti-virus or any programs (not use it yet) and the no internet until all files are restored, turning off the firewall. I take it back it what I said, I guess Time Machine restores everything first before letting you use it so there's no problem with anything.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.