Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
The new call recording feature seems useful - and I know participants of a call are notified that the call is being recorded - but is there a setting in iOS 18 where you can block the ability for people to initiate recording of your phone calls?

Or does iOS 18 at least let you accept or reject a call recording request?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
The new call recording feature seems useful - and I know participants of a call are notified that the call is being recorded - but is there a setting in iOS 18 where you can block the ability for people to initiate recording of your phone calls?

We don’t know. The feature is not yet in the beta.

In my opinion, this feature may end up getting removed. There is a great deal of variation in state law regarding the recording of telephone conversations. Some allow it with notice (and consent ) and some without. Generally in an interstate call the state with the more restrictive rule prevails. Since 11 states have two party consent rules - meaning both parties on the call have to consent to the recording - I can see where those more restrictive 11 states (or their residents) may sue to have this feature removed as there is no mechanism to stop it if the non-recording party doesn’t consent.

DarthBradicus

macrumors regular
May 13, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

In my opinion, this feature may end up getting removed. There is a great deal of variation in state law regarding the recording of telephone conversations. Some allow it with notice (and consent ) and some without. Generally in an interstate call the state with the more restrictive rule prevails. Since 11 states have two party consent rules - meaning both parties on the call have to consent to the recording - I can see where those more restrictive 11 states (or their residents) may sue to have this feature removed as there is no mechanism to stop it if the non-recording party doesn’t consent.
Since you can call the customer service of a company that records calls for quality and training purposes from any state, I would assume being notified and choosing to continue with the call counts as consent. In that case, the mechanism to stop it if you don’t consent is by hanging up.

But yeah, we don’t know how it will work in iOS yet since it’s not there.

Reactions: Tagbert and addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Not sure about the rest of Europe but Polish law states that you can make a recording of meeting you participate same with call for your own purposes (i.e. notes or meeting minutes creation) as long as it’s not shared outside of such group. Recording of 3rd party meetings, discussions etc. is of course prohibited (so all spy-like actions etc).

So it’s also butt saving for taking a security recording of call with customer service or courier for instance when he asks where to put parcel if nobody home.

So I hope it will not be totally removed and there will not be drama of AirTags level. Maybe as stated limited to locations depending on local law.

mblm85

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Yorkshire, UK
I think you get an automatic warning overlayed at the beginning of the call, at which point I'll ask people to call me back with recording turned off and then hang up.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It’s no different than if someone held a tape recorder next to the speakerphone. Or if someone takes a private photo without consent. It wouldn’t make sense to remove a feature just because there is a potential for abuse.

For people who don’t consent, hang up the call. This is just like using Zoom.

Reactions: Tagbert and addamas

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

This works very much like zoom. Someone initiates a recording and everyone is notified. You can ask to stop the recording or you can hang up or you can accept it and continue on the call. I haven’t heard of any legal challenges and people seem to be ok with how it works.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Things change when a platform of over a billion users gets a feature. Not saying it’s going to happen but it might.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Things change when a platform of over a billion users gets a feature. Not saying it’s going to happen but it might.

What would be the legal challenge though? That iPhone can do something potentially illegal? How would the legal challenge be any different from iPhone being able to take a photo of a nude individual or even the manufacturer of a knife? What about the rights of individuals who do consent to having conversations recorded? I just don’t see how it even might happen.

RSmith2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA

I don’t think it will be removed. There are already apps that do call recording.

The fact that they are forcing notification on both sides of the call will cover them. (If you don’t consent to being recorded, you are free to hang up.)

The key will be in the wording of the notification And making sure that the very 1st thing heard on any recording is something along the lines of “this call is being recorded. If you do not consent, please hang up now…”

Reactions: Tagbert

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
I can see where those more restrictive 11 states (or their residents) may sue to have this feature removed as there is no mechanism to stop it if the non-recording party doesn’t consent
There absolutely is a mechanism for people who don’t consent. It’s called hanging up.

bobbyjack

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2017
Paris
I use to have this option pre installed on my old phone, very useful, so I guess it's ok in France, but I also guess the receiving call must have an iPhone too

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
There absolutely is a mechanism for people who don’t consent. It’s called hanging up.
You are missing my point: Apple is a convenient target and may not want to be known as the company that forces its users (or others) to hang up to avoid a feature of one of its phones. Not a good look, IMO. Sure third party apps do it, but there’s a big difference when some small indie developer makes an app that does this and when one of the most powerful companies on the planet does it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You are missing my point: Apple is a convenient target and may not want to be known as the company that forces its users (or others) to hang up to avoid a feature of one of its phones. Not a good look, IMO. Sure third party apps do it, but there’s a big difference when some small indie developer makes an app that does this and when one of the most powerful companies on the planet does it.

It's difficult to imagine a real world scenario of what you've described.

"I insist on phoning someone who demands to record our conversation. We do not have mutual agreement on this matter, but I very much desire to speak to this other person. Therefore, I blame Apple for forcing me to hang up and not allowing us to speak."

The two parties haven't even agreed on the basic preconditions of a conversation. Unless someone has Stockholm syndrome, the disinterested party would never take a call from the other party in the first place.

This is equivalent to blaming GoPro for preventing an in-person meet from occurring, because one party insists on wearing one to the meeting.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It's difficult to imagine a real world scenario of what you've described.

"I insist on phoning someone who demands to record our conversation. We do not have mutual agreement on this matter, but I very much desire to speak to this other person. Therefore, I blame Apple for forcing me to hang up and not allowing us to speak."

The two parties haven't even agreed on the basic preconditions of a conversation. Unless someone has Stockholm syndrome, the disinterested party would never take a call from the other party in the first place.

This is equivalent to blaming GoPro for preventing an in-person meet from occurring, because one party insists on wearing one to the meeting.
Is it really that hard to imagine?

Estranged Husband, calls soon to be ex-wife, to discuss child care arrangements: [Phone announces call is being recorded].

Estranged wife, who needs to get the child care arrangements ironed out pronto: “Do not under any circumstances record this call!“

Estranged Husband: “Nada” (or words to that effect)

Estrange Wife: “We need to have this call to discuss our kids but I’m not going to do it if your phone records the call”

and on and on.

You are all thinking of this like a phone solicitation system. Those types of operations are not using iPhones to contact people. These are interactions between normal humans, some of who do not want to be recorded, but still need to have the conversation.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Is it really that hard to imagine?

Estranged Husband, calls soon to be ex-wife, to discuss child care arrangements: [Phone announces call is being recorded].

Estranged wife, who needs to get the child care arrangements ironed out pronto: “Do not under any circumstances record this call!“

Estranged Husband: “Nada” (or words to that effect)

Estrange Wife: “We need to have this call to discuss our kids but I’m not going to do it if your phone records the call”

and on and on.

You are all thinking of this like a phone solicitation system. Those types of operations are not using iPhones to contact people. These are interactions between normal humans, some of who do not want to be recorded, but still need to have the conversation.

It really is hard to imagine. The call wouldn't happen. Or one of them would change their behavior.

Again, if such a basic precondition hasn't been met between the two parties, why would there be a phone call? Why would the next step be, blame Apple? By not offering a call recording feature, Apple would be forced to serve as mediator and make a decision for the couple.

Public opinion would blame either or both parties for being unreasonable. Cases like this would be completely overshadowed by the positive PR from recordings of scammers, abusive relationships, final words from loved ones, etc.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Hang up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.