Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUILTIE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Can you bring a DSLR into concerts, specifically The Shins? I'd love to take some pics but I don't want to not be let in because of the camera!

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
It depends on the venue, I've seen places like large arenas specifically forbid cameras/recorders, while some concert halls or clubs don't care, as long as you don't use flash

dmb70

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
In most cases no. I would call the venue & ask about there camera policy. I'm not familiar with the Shins but if a band is small enough you can try requesting a photo pass via there myspace & see if you get a response.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
In places where you could reasonably grab an actual decent shot of the band on stage, and not the bull***t camera phone from the back of the stadium, would allow you to take photos.

Outdoor festival type concerts are typically always fair game no matter the size.

Places that dont allow cameras at all are typically not places where you could even use it effectively. I really find it humorous when a place DOES let a nice dSLR in and the kid is 30 rows back with a prime lens. Nothing your 12mp camera cant crop for effect, right!?

So, as others have said, its the venue (and maybe half-heartedly the band itself) who has the final say in photography of the show.

I think the size of the venue vs the ability to take photos is on a logarithmic scale where the bigger the place the less chance you have to take photos.

Under 200 people, definitely take photos...
Over 2000 people, maybe take photos...
Over 5000 people, would you want to take photos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.