Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
God, I bought that Canon 10-22 last night from wisetronics.com, and they make you call in to "verify your order number." What it really is, is an opportunity for them to pitch more sales at you, including "fully professional 3-piece titanium filter kit" for ONLY $260. I said "no", as I would be fine with a cheaper UV filter I found on google for about $25 shipped. Then he tried to pitch a warranty, 5 years for $250, I said no, he dropped it to $160 and was gonna increase my shipping from 3-5 days to 2-day air, but I said no, I don't have the funds to spend on extras, since I leave for school in 2 weeks, and that already costs me $40,000/yr.

Apparently the lens I bought has no warranty whatsoever, in the guy on the phone's words "if you drop it or break it the day you get it, you're gonna have to pay $575 to get it replaced."

He did a good job scaring me, but I thought if I stood my ground, he'd come down more. But he didn't. I would have bought the warranty, but I honestly don't have the money.

I guess I'll rely on my renter's insurance to cover it?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Sounds like you bought from one of the infamous Brooklyn merchants.

A friend of mine bought an XT from a similar place. He had to do the call to verify thing after he ordered.

He got the same hard line sales pitch, and resisted.

Then his XT came in, and the battery and battery charger had been removed from the box. He called the store up, and they told him the battery wasn't included in the advertised price, and was going to be $120.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Mike Teezie said:
Sounds like you bought from one of the infamous Brooklyn merchants.

A friend of mine bought an XT from a similar place. He had to do the call to verify thing after he ordered.

He got the same hard line sales pitch, and resisted.

Then his XT came in, and the battery and battery charger had been removed from the box. He called the store up, and they told him the battery wasn't included in the advertised price, and was going to be $120.

Yeah, I called my dad about it, and he said it sounded fishy. :(
If it shows up and it turns out it DID have a warranty, I'm going to call and demand my money back. (I ended up calling them back and getting the 5-year for $139. :\)

serpent

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2006
I would double check that warrentee that you bought! I do not believe that any warrentee covers you for abuse, "dropping lens on floor"! Every one I've ever read only cover for manuf defects or parts failing during normal use.

Serpent

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.