Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightmyway

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
I have a music video project that will require me to take 25 different videos and edit them together. They will all need to sync up to the audio perfectly (syncing lips to the singing in the video). Can iPad do this? Does anyone use iMovie for this, or is there a more powerful video editing app that would be needed? (I'm using the original 12.9" iPad Pro.)

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Haven't used it yet but have a look at LumaFusion. I've recently been looking for a powerful video editor and this is the app that keeps coming top.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The iPad Air 2 is great with big files and high quality video. It's pretty good at not crashing (but it does happen) and the only slow thing is actually exporting the final version to 4k.

luma and some other apps are a great way to deal with bigger projects.

By the way:
"LumaFusion is currently 50% off of its normal price of $39.99 (US App Store) for a limited time only."
https://luma-touch.com/

Last edited:

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I have already purchased Luma in preparation to edit all my YouTube videos on the iPad Pro once mine ships. One thing I am however worried about it since I record most of my videos with my smartphones, transferring videos from my iPhone 7 Plus of course is no problem with airdrop but I also record with my S8 Plus. So I'm trying to figure out the easiest wireless way to transfer videos from it over to the iPad. Any suggestions?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Sorry, gorilla arm with or without pencil. Mouse is so much better for video editing.
Uh....no. People generally don't use the Pencil (other than for navigation) while the iPad is in "laptop mode". It shines when the iPad is laying flat or being held. I use it all the time to edit podcast tracks in Ferrite. Gives you a really precise editing tool--almost like splicing real tape with an exacto knife.

Reactions: lightmyway

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I haven’t tried any serious video editing on an iPad so I couldn’t comment one way or another on it. The one thing I’d wonder about is the screen size. I did a fair amount of editing a few years ago when my daughter was on a club soccer team. That was on a 27” iMac with FCP and it was perfect for that.

jcphoenix

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Ottawa
^Yeah I bought the late 2009 27" i7 iMac for video editing when it came out and never went back down size-wise (I'm still using that same iMac at home!). At uni, we had the 30" Cinema Displays in all the editing suites but they felt just a tad too big when trying to use the mouse (it got tiring trying to get from one side of the screen to the other). The 27" size is perfect (and even better with Retina Display on the current ones now which I use at work).

I very stubbornly stuck with Final Cut 7 for ages but for a friend's short film that I'm currently working on, I decided to give FCP X another shot and it's grown on me a lot (the last time I tried it was the very first version of X).

I also downloaded LumaFusion as soon as I got my 10.5 inch iPad Pro but I'm under no illusions that it'll be able to replace the desktop. I am looking forward to experimenting with it though for super mini personal projects and I do think the app could eventually evolve to be useful. I'm excited about their implementation of JKL for example (although the "J" is not working within the timeline currently, only with viewing the source footage) but at its core, I think the iOS file management system simply isn't powerful enough or compatible enough with the desktop if you're trying to get an actual short film or documentary done. I can handle the lack of mouse support with JKL editing and keyboard shortcuts being able to largely replace those things (no question I'd have to use an external keyboard to make it work), but I just don't know how you'd handle the real life process with an iPad unless you're able to keep everything in the project within the iPad and never transfer files or versions to other people (which, to me, isn't realistic in a workflow). I don't know how an XML or EDL could work right now with the iPad and I don't store all footage in the library in FCP X for example, everything stays external and the library links/references those external pieces - this allows me to transfer the small library files back and forth with the director (who has an exact copy of the footage with the same file structure) as we work through cuts. I can't do that with the iPad right now but that would be a game changer for me if I could and if project files/XML/EDLs could be easily transferable to the desktop and relink properly with the desktop files.

For me, that's the potential of the iPad - not necessarily to be the complete editing package on its own, but if I could work on parts of a project on an iPad while traveling or whatever and then bring all those edits into my desktop app with ease to pick up where I left off - *THAT* would be incredible. The iPad's screen size is limiting for the most comfortable editing solution to be sure, but it would be great as something you could use in spurts in between the core editing sessions on the desktop.

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I use it all the time to edit podcast tracks in Ferrite. Gives you a really precise editing tool--almost like splicing real tape with an exacto knife.

Pretty sure I don't want to heavy video editing on a 12.9" screen on my lap.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
For me, that's the potential of the iPad - not necessarily to be the complete editing package on its own, but if I could work on parts of a project on an iPad while traveling or whatever and then bring all those edits into my desktop app with ease to pick up where I left off - *THAT* would be incredible.
I think this is where a surface or laptop shines. The mobil device recapitulates the desktop environment. I do see value in the ipad for simple personal/family videos.

jcphoenix

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
Ottawa
I think this is where a surface or laptop shines. The mobil device recapitulates the desktop environment. I do see value in the ipad for simple personal/family videos.

For sure if my main focus with getting the iPad is to be able to do video editing, I'd have went with a Surface or a laptop.

I had to ask myself what I was looking for out of the device and what trade-offs I was okay with...ultimately, the iPad is a travel and lounge around at home device for me, mostly for media consumption (books, music, movies, browsing, sheet music) with some file management and remote desktop control...the Apple ecosystem also made a huge difference for me in terms of the crosstalk between my iPad/iPhone/personal iMac/work iMac with Handoff/Continuity/Airdrop/messages, notes, and phone conversations aligning between all the devices (with some exceptions for my old home iMac). In that regard, with the ease of use and simplicity of its touch interface, it's the right device (I have the 10.5 inch iPad as I find that size perfect for that kind of versatility, even if it trades off usability for more complex apps).

Still, photo editing at least seems like it may finally be checked off with Affinity Photo's release. Video editing and motion graphics work are pretty much the big things that I can't really fully accomplish right now with the iPad that I can on my Mac, but honestly, in most cases, these would be things I would probably prefer to do on a desktop 95% of the time anyway so I'm not so worried about them. But it will be fascinating to see all these areas evolve over time on the iPad, especially if Apple opens up their file management system even more next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.