Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mageek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
Trying to get the butterfly keyboard typing experience on an M1 or M2 MBP.

Believe it or not I actually think the 2017 butterfly keyboard is the best keyboard ever conceived in terms of typing feel, tactility, feedback and sound.

It's a marvel of engineering save for the reliability.

• Wow
Reactions: Yebubbleman

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
rying to get the butterfly keyboard typing experience on an M1 or M2 MBP.

No, they're different designs

butterfly keyboard is the best keyboard ever conceived in terms of typing feel, tactility, feedback and sound.
I think many, many people will steadfastly disagree with you. Have you ever used a Thinkpad keyboard, legion of people believe the Thinkpad keyboards are the gold standard with regard to tactile/feedback and sound

Mageek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2023
No, they're different designs

I think many, many people will steadfastly disagree with you. Have you ever used a Thinkpad keyboard, legion of people believe the Thinkpad keyboards are the gold standard with regard to tactile/feedback and sound
I have a thinkpad x1 carbon at work, while they are not mushy, they feel plasticky, and there is quite a bit of give / flex / wobble in the keyboard.

The 2017 butterfly is the most stable and solid feeling keyboard when it works. The keys have a satisfying thud and clickyness with 0 flex and no plasticky feel. It’s a luxury typing experience that makes me LOVE to type which makes me more productive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a thinkpad x1 carbon at work, while they are not mushy, they feel plasticky, and there is quite a bit of give / flex / wobble in the keyboard.
I have a Thinkpad X1 Extreme, and I've used various other thinkpads from my job - they are the best keyboard and I've never seen wobble, or mushiness ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 2017 butterfly is the most stable and solid feeling keyboard when it works.
Keyword - when it works. The butterfly keyboard is an abject failure by apple and will fail at some point

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.