Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Hi Basically I just do photography as a hobby occasionally when I go on holiday or get bored lol! My camera is about 4.5 years old but I dont let it hold me back. So basically If you could spend a minute looking through my photostream, and then give me some feedback or some comments on what I could do better or what You like/dislike that would be awesome.
Feel free to add me as a friend, or give me some comments on my flickr aswell, its a bit sparse. The link is at the bottom of my sig

Thanks
dawnraid

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
You've got a lot of great work in there. You have a developing eye for composition and you post process your work very well. I don't really have much advice, other than to keep it up! Maybe try working with human subjects for something a bit more challenging. :)

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I do like. Some of the better "feedback on my photos pleez" examples. You do seem to be successful at different subject matters and different styles. Also I like that you don't feel the need to get the biggest, best, newest equipment. That is key, working on your photography and not on collecting equipment.

I would like to see some portraits from you. I think there are some really interesting portraits waiting..

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I don't have a flickr account and don't want one, so I'll comment on some of your photos here:

View From the Top: great stitching work - impressive quality considering it was taken on a phone. Compositionally, it needs work. The red box dead centre in the frame is quite distracting.

Downtown Auckland: my old apartment is slightly obscured by the Velo building, haha. As for the photo, there is lens distortion visible. Use the filter in CS4 to 'flatten' the image. With all of the parallel lines from the buildings, the distortion is exaggerated.

B&W Buildings: very good black and white tones. The top of the building at the bottom of the frame is distracting - adjusting the point of view to above this would improve the composition.

B&W Coast: the foreground is too dark - dodging would help, as would the black and white conversion tool in CS4 (it lets you boost greens to lighter shades, etc). Horizon is slightly tilted.

Stormy Muriwai Beach: my old boarding spot. Last time I was out there I had to pull half a dozen nearly-drowning swimmers out of the surf. As for the photo, nice tones, but it appears to be tilting dramatically to the right. A lower point of view, ie, get closer to the ground before shooting, would allow the foreground to lead the eye through the composition better.

Sheep and Beach: the sheep and foreground grass are too dark - dodging or 'shadows/highlights' would fix this. Compositionally, it's good, but it bothers me how the tip of the 'peninsula' is chopped off on the right side of the frame.

The Outlook is Good: the colours are mutated. The view would be better looking slightly more to the left. Good stitching again though - there's only a slight mark in the sky to give it away.

A Different Perspective: excellent composition, probably your best yet, but it is dramatically out of focus and the depth of field should be increased to at least f/11 for this type of shot.

Sydney's Subway: you're now seeing the limits of your camera - low light noise is strong and the sharpness needs improving. Great composition though, very interesting.

Queen Victoria Building Sydney: I'll be honest, this is a terrible HDR. The shadow details are something that HDR is designed to boost, but it's completely black. Some people have blue faces too. My advice to you is get Photomatix for HDR work, don't use Photoshop's HDR because it's awful. And if you're a student you can buy Photomatix really cheaply. If you want to see what it can do, send me the original photos and I'll put it together and show you how good it could be.

I think that will do for now. You've definitely got a lot of potential. If you want honest critiques on your photos, rather than 'that's great, perfect, best shot ever - you don't need to improve', then forget Flickr. Go to PhotoSIG. You can look me up here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.