Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
The title pretty much says it all. I currently own a Rebel XT with the kit lens and a 70-200 f/4L USM which I love BTW. I was looking into uprgrading to the 30D. I was just wondering if anyone on here has one or can compare the two and tell me if its worth the upgrade. Thanks alot.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
The image quality of the two is basically equal... so, unless there's a particular feature of the 30d that you need, I wouldn't do it.

Why are you unhappy with your Rebel XT?

If it's due to the smaller size (some complain about the Rebel XT being too small for their hands) you can remedy that buying a $70 battery grip... or a handstrap.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I had the Rebel XT and upgraded to a 30D. I wanted a faster frame burst (5fps vs. 3fps) and a larger preview screen. Those two things aren't enough to make most people (even me) upgrade, but I found a new 30D Kit on craigslist for $1000 and went for it.

Like Atari1356 said, it all depends on what you need it to do. The image quality will be the same.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
carletonmusic said:
The image quality will be the same.

If what you want is better image quality on a few shots with the "L" lens then buy a cheap Rebel film body. (should cost less than $100) and scan the film. My scanned film comes out as 16 megapixel image files with much greater details than I can capture on a DSLR frame. OK it's not perfect but Rebel film bodies are very cheap and you really CAN get 16MP that way.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
South America
If you're not dissatisfied with your current camera body, but still want better quality pictures, I would suggest getting a faster lens. For instance the cheap-but-sharp 50mm f1.8 or the 50mm f1.4.

I got the 50mm f1.8. It's less than $100, and a very fast and sharp. You can take indoor photos without flash, and have a very shallow DOF. I have the 70-200f4L too and I like it as well. But the 50mm can do things the f4L can't. I'm not sure which of the two I like best.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
you cannot compare a 70-200 with a 50mm lens. They are not the same, even with the same aperture, they wouldnt be.

the 50mm is mostly for portrait or macro (with ext tubes) while the 70-200 can be used for anything that need reach other than wildlife.

I own a 70-200 2.8L and its a great lens, but if I had to go back in time, I would have taken the F4 and a 400mm 5.6L prime.

Anyways, to be back on the subject, there isnt any real advantages for you to upgrade right now. If you want to improve image quality, the best trick is to improve your technique, then improve your PS skills, then improve the lens then improve the body (get a full frame).

Go into that order not the other way around.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
Dark said:
The title pretty much says it all. I currently own a Rebel XT with the kit lens and a 70-200 f/4L USM which I love BTW. I was looking into uprgrading to the 30D. I was just wondering if anyone on here has one or can compare the two and tell me if its worth the upgrade. Thanks alot.

The Rebel is a fine little camera, I had one converted ti an IR camera. The 30D is a big leap up from it. Just go and pick one up at the camera shop and fire off a few frames. It will be worth the upgrade.

You get a better body, size and construction (Magnesium clad) body,
1/8000 shutter (1/4000),
ISO 100-1600 in 1/3 stops plus 3200, (Rebel has 1 stop increments to 1600),
8.5 MP sensor (8.2), it is not the same sensor in these cameras
2.5 LCD (1.8),
65 ms lag (100 ms),
9 pt AF (7),
5fps, 30 frame buffer (3 fps and 14),
spot metering, picture styles, and maybe some other stuff.

If you can afford the extra $$ go for it, you'll love it. Later if you want to go FF (prices will drop), keep the 30D as back up and longer lens work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.