Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

birkopf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Hi guys,

I have iPhone 4 with IOS 7.1.2 and when I inster simcard it will not activate (say's sorry try later and sim card shows "no service"). I tried activated throught iTunes - the same, cannot activate try later. I tried activating using 3u tools - no luck gives error. I tried flashing IOS 6 but I only have shsh file allowing me in instal IOS 7.1.2

How can I activate this phone ?

birkopf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
I'm not in the US, but in the same time - would it now go past phone setup to the main system? It hangs after system reset when it tries to access sim card to activate. It will not go wither when I try to activate using wifi or iTunes.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I'm not in the US, but in the same time - would it now go past phone setup to the main system? It hangs after system reset when it tries to access sim card to activate. It will not go wither when I try to activate using wifi or iTunes.
You should check with the carrier you are trying to activate with. Many carriers - not just in the US - are shutting down 3G service soon, and will no longer allow activation of a phone that cannot do 4G VoLTE.

For example, here's an article about Deutsche Telekom in Germany shutting down their entire 3G network this summer.

birkopf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
I think you both might be on to something... I used 3 different sim cards and on one it started "searching" then shown no service. Either there is a problem with cim card slot, or simply they don't support it anymore. I called my network but the guy in call centre was trying to get rid of me instead of helping me.

Let me ask differently - Can I still use that phone for calls and text messages only? Is there a way to activate it ? Or perhaps I can downgrade the soft and then it will go on ? I think problems started when I upgraded to 7.1.2

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think you both might be on to something... I used 3 different sim cards and on one it started "searching" then shown no service. Either there is a problem with cim card slot, or simply they don't support it anymore. I called my network but the guy in call centre was trying to get rid of me instead of helping me.

Let me ask differently - Can I still use that phone for calls and text messages only? Is there a way to activate it ? Or perhaps I can downgrade the soft and then it will go on ? I think problems started when I upgraded to 7.1.2
You can try sticking whatever SIM card in there, and then using Wi-Fi to activate it. It should work, regardless of the cell carrier, as long as the phone isn't locked. There could just a problem with the SIM slot as a whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.