Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amsocial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Hello
Just got my AW3821DW monitor.

I am using a mac book pro 2018.
When connected with the display cable I cannot adjust brightness and the ambient sensor is off and get refresh rate 60.

With HDMI cable both are working but refresh rate is 30.

I have tried with 3 display cables.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I drive an old Apple display with DisplayPort from my MacBook Pro. I have to also connect USB to allow my MacBook to adjust the brightness. Could that be the issue? Admittedly, I have very old tech.

amsocial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Thanks svenmany. You use usb dongle to connect to connect to display port?

One thing I noticed is in safe mode I can change the brightness

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Since it works in safe mode, you might have a different issue than I had.

Just so you have my complete picture:

I'm connecting a 2018 MacBook Pro to a 17" Apple display. The display was bought in 2014, but the manual I just downloaded for it was printed in 2010. So, it's an old monitor.

I have two thunderbolt ports on my 2018 MacBook Pro . One has a USB-C to DisplayPort dongle that connects to the Mini DisplayPort of the monitor. The other has a USB-C to USB-A dongle that connects to the USB hub of the monitor.

Each dongle uses a different aspect of the thunderbolt port they are plugged in to. One just takes the display information. The other just takes the USB traffic. My understanding of Thunderbolt is probably naive.

If I don't connect the USB hub of the monitor to my laptop, I cannot control the monitor's brightness from the computer.

Good luck sorting it out. You seem to have bought an amazing monitor.

amsocial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Thanks, monitor is awesome

I am going reinstall OS, to rule out 3rd party app messing with ports.

amsocial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
For anyone who stumbles on this, the issue was HDR. Needed to turn off HDR to get brightness working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.