Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leemor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
I've been trying for months to download OS X El Capitan to my Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 7,1. After "purchasing" the free OS X el capitan download on the App Store back in May 2016, it wouldn't download. Apple support said I needed to establish an account with a credit card in the country in which I was living, so I did. (I had moved to Colombia from the US after purchasing the laptop.) Then a response said El Capitan was not available from the App Store in the country in which I was trying to download. It's listed under the "Purchased" tab (May 2016), but won't download; nothing happens.

Would be so appreciative of any clues. OS X, Version 10.6.8

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Does the App Store show the "DOWNLOAD" button like this in the "Purchased" section?
1 App Store002.jpg

leemor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
Yes. Same as your image and with an "x" with a circle around it next to the download button

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The "x" with a circle around it next to the "DOWNLOAD" button would indicate to me, as you have found, that you can not download it.
Can you download other software from the App Store?
Apple support said I needed to establish an account with a credit card in the country in which I was living, so I did. (I had moved to Colombia from the US after purchasing the laptop.) Then a response said El Capitan was not available from the App Store in the country in which I was trying to download.
Unfortunately, it seems being in Columbia is causing it to not be available for you. I think you will have to sort it out with Apple, if you can. Getting it officially and legally from Apple are the only methods that can be discussed according to forum rules.

I can't discuss/recommend other download options or the purchase of bootable EL Capitan USB flash drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.