Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Hey all,

I'm unable to transfer images from my Canon PowerShot SD990 IS to my iMac (OSX 10.5.6, 2.4 GHz, 1 GB). I know they're connecting because I can see the pictures on my iMac when they connect. However, whenever I try to download them to the iMac, it fails and tells me something along the lines of transfer failed.

-I tried connecting to another USB port, same problem.
-I downloaded the most recent software updates from Canon for the camera, same problem.

Thanks in advance.

mcavjame

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
phased to this universe
I generally put the media in a card reader when stuff like this happens. I am a central repository for photos at our school, so everyone is always bringing me their camera.

If you have a card reader, try using that while you search for a cure to the connection problem.

Also, I like to drag the pics from finder to iPhoto and then trash the pics from finder. It is much faster than letting iPhoto do this. Don't forget to empty the trash before ejecting the card.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Have you tried using Image Capture? And if that doesn't work, pick up a cheap card reader for less than $10, it'll download the pictures faster than using the camera anyway.

cjanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Have you tried using Image Capture? And if that doesn't work, pick up a cheap card reader for less than $10, it'll download the pictures faster than using the camera anyway.

Image Capture is not working either.

cjanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I generally put the media in a card reader when stuff like this happens. I am a central repository for photos at our school, so everyone is always bringing me their camera.

If you have a card reader, try using that while you search for a cure to the connection problem.

Also, I like to drag the pics from finder to iPhoto and then trash the pics from finder. It is much faster than letting iPhoto do this. Don't forget to empty the trash before ejecting the card.

I don't have a card reader now. Will an older card reader work with a SDHC card?

cjanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Do you have another USB cable that you can try? And also, have you tried it with another computer?

I tried another USB cable and had the same problem. I have not tried another computer yet, but will try soon.

cjanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks all. A card reader solved the problem. I'm not really sure what the deal with the camera was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.