Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mordor_warior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2016
Hi I have a problem installing Win7 on late 2006 iMac 20''. After BootCamp have splitted a disc onto two partitions, and system displayed information, that it started installation from the DVD, the whole process crashes. The screen becomes suddenly black, then white, and I lose control over the computer. The only way to regain control is to restart it with Alt key pressed. When I do that, it detects no Windows partition, only the main one, and recovery.

Somebody suggeste I've tried different Windows discs, but the result is always the same. What's probably important, the factory DVD drive in this iMac is damaged. I use the external USB drive. When I start installation, BootCamp displays the message, that it disables USB drive boot, to avoid some conflict during installation.

I heard, that it is also possible to install Windows from a pendrive, but since it's a DVD iMac model, BootCamp gives no such option.
[doublepost=1468683988][/doublepost]One more thing :). When I watch Youtube Boot Camp tutorials, there's usually an option "Create Windows install disc" available. I do not have this option available - no cues why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.