Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hello,

I am running El Capitan.
i have iMovie 10.1.6

I have been making movie slideshows with photos and videos once or twice a year for my kids' birthdays.
I got a new computer after the last slideshow movie.

I am still working with Aperture (I know, time to move on...) and am using an iPhoto library within Aperture.
Normally I can see the iphoto library listing on the left side of the iMovie screen. but now, it isn't there. I try to connect a photo library and get nothing. libraries are greyed out.

I see under Help this iMovie should open, iPhoto, Aperture, and Photos libraries...
it isn't that I see black images, i don't see the library or have a way to connect a photo library.

HELP!!!

thanks

I suppose I could update to Sierra. and it shows i am on the latest iMovie (for El Capitan at least)

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
There may be a file permission issue.

When was the last time the computer was restarted? May want to try that and then repair the disk via disk utility.

One work around is to export the photos you want out of aperture into a folder. iMovie should be able to import them from the folder.

Reactions: BJMRamage

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I've restarted a few times. I switched aperture libraries and then back to my main library. Upon doing that I see an aperture Library heading within iMovie. But it is blank. :(. Maybe I need to see if I have or can download iPhoto and open that and see if that does anything to add that listing.

Yeah. I figure I can export and then import. Just seems like a few extra steps.

Thanks.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Normally I can see the iphoto library listing on the left side of the iMovie screen.
Have you seen this on your new computer running El Capitan already, or was it on your old computer. I think that the latest iMovie and El Capitan is set up to look at the Photos Library, and not iPhoto.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Have you seen this on your new computer running El Capitan already, or was it on your old computer. I think that the latest iMovie and El Capitan is set up to look at the Photos Library, and not iPhoto.

Thanks. I was thinking back and figure the last slideshow movie I did was on the old machine. And not running El Capitan.

I looked into another movie app. Downloaded it. And realized, if still need to export and import photos. So, sticking with iMovie for now. I did the export and import from a folder.

Heck, being on aperture is bad enough. But I love what I can do with it where I don't think I can with Photos. Just yet. Maybe in the fall will have more options. But mainly looking for the brush adjustments. And saving adjustments. To use later.

Thanks for the reply.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try resizing (scaling, cropping, etc.) your photos to 1080p before importing into iMovie.
That's 1920x1080 pixels.

I seem to recall reading that there's something in El Capitan that can prevent or interfere with pic imports (to iMovie) if the image is sized larger than that.

Also:
I found it somewhat vexing to actually get this done, to "cookie cut" a 1920x1080 "slice" out of a larger image with more pixels.

What finally worked for me was to use Affinity Photo, which lets you create a custom-sized crop tool (in this case I created a custom crop of 1920x1280 and saved it with the name "1080p".
I find that sometimes I have to "scale down" a large image (using Affinity) before I apply the crop, as well.
Experimentation will be necessary.

Reactions: BJMRamage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.