Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storrance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2017
I have a WD My Book that is setup as my time machine backup drive. Normally, it is connected to my Airport Extreme base station, and backs up wirelessly.

Recently, my mac keeps telling me that the back drive is full. I have checked, and the backup bundle takes up about 1.1 TB of the 2 TB space. There is also about 150GB of stuff that is manually backed up. This leaves about 750 of space unaccounted for.

SO,since My Book does not show up in Disk Utility, i decide to try to connect directly to my iMac's USB port. Once connected,
1) The external drive never mounts.
2) If i try to open Disk Utility, nothing loads. Not my internal drive or the external. it just spins.
3) Using "diskutil list" command in Terminal reveals that the drive is indeed recognized.
4) Using Mount and Mount Disk commands in Terminal results in a timeout error. Same when trying to eject.
5) Shows up in the System Profiler.
6) in the "Get Info" window, no owner is assigned and it won't let me add one. Keeps telling me the name is not valid.
7) Disk will only mount when it is connected to the Airport Extreme base station.
8) Have tried on another computer with the same results.

Besides not mounting when directly connected, the drive seems to be functioning correctly. I have tried all the normal steps to get it to show. Nothing. Any suggestions?
[doublepost=1511240529][/doublepost]Here is the disk info when connected via USB
diskutil info disk1

Device Identifier: disk1

Device Node: /dev/disk1

Whole: Yes

Part of Whole: disk1

Device / Media Name: My Book 111A

Volume Name: Not applicable (no file system)

Mounted: Not applicable (no file system)

File System: None

Content (IOContent): Apple_partition_scheme

OS Can Be Installed: No

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: USB

SMART Status: Not Supported

Disk Size: 2.0 TB (2000365289472 Bytes) (exactly 3906963456 512-Byte-Units)

Device Block Size: 512 Bytes

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: Not applicable (no file system)

Device Location: External

Removable Media: Fixed

Virtual: No

OS 9 Drivers: No

Low Level Format: Not supported

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.