Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Hi all

AirDrop is a beautiful feature and I really enjoy using it. It works just fine when I am not connected to VPN, but the moment I do, it stops working. I am connected to VPN, both on my phone and my macbook.

I read somewhere that there is a config/setting that can be changed that will enable me to use airdrop even when both devices are connected to vpn. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Reggaenald and RLT

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Hi all

AirDrop is a beautiful feature and I really enjoy using it. It works just fine when I am not connected to VPN, but the moment I do, it stops working. I am connected to VPN, both on my phone and my macbook.

I read somewhere that there is a config/setting that can be changed that will enable me to use airdrop even when both devices are connected to vpn. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thanks in advance
I imagine your VPN would have to be configured (on the server side) for “split tunnelling”. With a split tunnel, you can access your local network and the remote vpn net simultaneously. This is usually not the default setting, for security reasons.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Airdrop works with my VPN on both iOS and macOS.

I use Mullvad. They used to get an unequivocal recommendation from me, but less so these days. They have had a bug in their macOS app where bookmarks and reading lists don’t sync when you’re connected. This has been ongoing now for over 14 months, they are aware of it but have done stuff all to fix it. Using the Wireguard app does work.

Reactions: JackTech

JackTech

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2023
Airdrop works with my VPN on both iOS and macOS.

I use Mullvad. They used to get an unequivocal recommendation from me, but less so these days. They have had a bug in their macOS app where bookmarks and reading lists don’t sync when you’re connected. This has been ongoing now for over 14 months, they are aware of it but have done stuff all to fix it. Using the Wireguard app does work.
Haven't tested that syncing bug yet, but all the Apple Continuity features (AirDrop, AirPlay, Universal Keyboard, etc.) work perfectly with Mullvad VPN turned on. Just became their user yesterday. So far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.