Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyth

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
For years, I've had problems with my 10-22 lens. When I try to take a picture it usually gives me either an Error 99 (Rebel XTi) or an Error 1 (50D). I don't know why, and many professionals have looked at the lens and been baffled. Sometimes, though, it'll work for days at a time. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "oh, just take an eraser to the contacts. It'll be good as new." Since this happens on every body I've put the lens on, I'm positive that it's the lens. But I accidentally found a way to make it consistently work: don't lock it in all the way when I put the lens on the body. When I leave about one centimeter left before it clicks in, the lens works every time.

Obviously I'm pretty happy that I can get it to work, but I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas about why this particular method causes the lens to always work. Or if anyone can come up with a good way to let me lock in the lens and still be able to use it.

Thanks.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
My only guess would be that the contacts are not lining up correctly between the lens and camera. This is strange. Perhaps the ring on the lense with the locking hole is misaligned. Also, I cant imagine using a lens when it isn't fully locked in! :eek:

On a side note, mine has always worked perfectly. *suddenly grateful*

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
i have the same issue with my 50mm 1.8. i know its a HECK of a lot cheaper than ur lens.

i found that the problem increases more as the battery goes down.
i have a 400D maybe canon is telling me to upgrade eh. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.