Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
Right, I’m wondering if the 18-55mm lens is good enough? Like for zoom and quality. Should I buy the body of the camera then spend some more cash on a different lens or will that be a lot more expensive?

Thanks

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
hey, i was in the exact same position as you. What I did was get the camera with the kit lens, and buy another lens, a tamron 70-300mm, which doubled up as a 1:2 macro lens. This then allowed me to take a range of shots with just 2 lenses (as i got both the day i got my camera and started photography right away :D) i had the landscape and portrait abilities of the 18-55, with the zoom, action, closer shots and macro abilities of the tamron, allowing me to start with a range of possibilities. Ive still got these 2 lenses now :D haha :) really need to get the 50mm 1.8...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you think the kit lens is good (actually, it's pretty decent), you owe yourself to try EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It may be very hard to go back to the kit lens, even with zoom flexibility.

wfoster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Plymouth, UK
I think I will purchase this for Christmas and then a month or two later before I head out to my trip to Colorado I will purchase a Tamrom 70-300mm lens.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Right, I’m wondering if the 18-55mm lens is good enough? Like for zoom and quality. Should I buy the body of the camera then spend some more cash on a different lens or will that be a lot more expensive?

Thanks

Buy the body with the kit lens. Kit lenses are good values. Then take at least 1,000 photos. (Give yourself some assignments as if you were in a beginning photo class. This will speed up the process.) Then, after you have a library of 1,000 images think about the shots you missed or could not do as well as you'd like. Buy the lens that would have gotten those missed shots.

Most beginners will think they want a long telephoto zoom lens and then buy a cheap f/5.6 lens. Those will just sit in the closet if what you really needed was a very fast f/1.4 35mm lens for indoor, available light candid shots. The ONLY reason to buy a second lens is to get those additional shots. If those missed shots were wildlife then you'd be needing a "way expensive" fast and long lens but if they were architecture interiors then you'd want a completely different kind of lens. You can't know know what those missing shots will be. You really need to wait to buy that second lens.

One thing all beginners fail to do is use their feet. Move your location. That is the number one thing then adjust the room ring to "fine tune" the field of view to control what is in or out of the frame. Almost always it is best to walk closer then to use a longer lens. Unless there is a physical barrier.

will purchase a Tamrom 70-300mm lens

See, my prediction was dead on, all beginners do this. Those without much experience will go for ther longest and lowest cost f/5.6 lens they can find, always.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Depends on which kit lens it comes with. I know in Europe that camera can often come with the older, non-IS lens, which is complete garbage. Things aren't so bad with the new one, but see this thread from earlier today:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/813904/

I took quite a lot of very nice photos using the original kit lens. And yes, it's not a very good lens, but it only costs a little money. Here are a lot of sample photos taken with cheapest ($90.00) Canon kit lens:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

I consider it a good value if it comes with the camera. As with any camera, a good photographer can do a lot with the kit lens.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I took quite a lot of very nice photos using the original kit lens. And yes, it's not a very good lens, but it only costs a little money. Here are a lot of sample photos taken with cheapest ($90.00) Canon kit lens:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185522

I consider it a good value if it comes with the camera. As with any camera, a good photographer can do a lot with the kit lens.

I really can't argue with that, especially the last part. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.