Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukegarnz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing a photography degree in the next couple of years and was wondering what are the main advantages i would see from upgrading my 300d to a 20d? I'm into most types of photography but really want to get into surf/extreme sports photography.

Any advice on the 20d would be really appreciated.

thanks

Luke

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
20D? Isn't that discontinued?

I think that the current version of the 20D is the 40D. And in terms of an upgrade you would definitely benefit.. For one thing it has a higher frame per second burst shooting mode of 5 fps (I think) which will help with action shots..

It also has a bit of an overall better performance in terms of autofocus, noise, etc. Don't trust me, though.. Go read a few reviews and see what you think.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
The 300d is really a lame duck. The later rebel models (350, 400 and 450) caught up to the prosumer bodys in image quality (forgetting ergonomics, iso performance, speed etc) but the 300d was never on par. The 20d would be a major upgrade, as would the 30d or 40d (the 40d is the current model).

Enjoy! It will definitely help with sports photography, but also just your everyday pictures will look that much better.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, the 20D would be a nice camera, depending on how old it is.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a used dSLR unless it had very few shutter actuations. To me, they're like any electronic gadget, and wear out internally and through usage in a way that's different than completely mechanical devices. I'd also never buy a 4 year old computer, but I'm sure there are some people who would.

I'd probably check for a used 30D being sold off by people who just enjoy upgrading. There's bound to be someone.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
When I was looking for my 40D at the end of March there still appeared to be "new" 30Ds available, that being said, if you are going to pick up a 30D I would strongly recommend a reputable dealer to ensure you do actually get a "new" body as opposed to maybe something gently used.

Pricing IIRC was around $800 with the kit lens, though I think you can get the 40D body only for around $950 on Amazon. So jumping to the 40D might not be a stretch as you should be able to use your existing glass for a while before upgrading that.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
As soon as I hear "I want to photograph water", I tend to think that person needs to invenst in a lense that lets in alot of light, and a polarizing filter that will take away glare.

I have a 300d, and agree its a bit feature poor. But you might want to consider experimenting with your lense needs first, knowing they will all be used in your eventual upgraded camera body.

BTW, I'm far from a protographer, but I know that my experience went way up, by putting money into the add ons, instead of just buying new bodys.

flinch13

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2004
The 20d is much sturdier than the 300. These are a step up in build quality. If you want your camera to survive a fall to the ground, this is the upgrade for you.

lukegarnz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Cheers for all the advice guys. I think i'm pretty much set on the 40d, with the high resolution and 6.5 fps it's perfect for what i want. Plus i've found it for £500 body only which is pretty cheap from what i can see.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Cheers for all the advice guys. I think i'm pretty much set on the 40d, with the high resolution and 6.5 fps it's perfect for what i want. Plus i've found it for £500 body only which is pretty cheap from what i can see.

Just in case you have missed it in other threads... top price normally equals questionable dealer. Before you jump, do a search or two on the dealer and see what the comments are. I have no idea what things are like over there but there are more than a few dealers over here offering great prices and then charging you like crazy for the "extras" that come in the box anyway and you end up paying more than at the normal store. Apparently Canon & Nikon don't include a battery & a charger....*cough*.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Buy from reputable dealers such as B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. I have heard others say that Beach Camera is good, too, but I have no experience with this company. If you buy a 40D now, Canon is offering a $200.00 rebate, which takes place during the transaction. So a 40D body costs just a little over $900.00 at the moment. I paid $936.00 at B&H for mine, a tab more than perhaps Amazon and a couple of others, but I always buy from B&H.

lukegarnz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
thanks for that, i'm looking at getting it from http://www.warehouseexpress.com. They seem pretty legit and as far as i'm aware in the UK the price you see is what you pay and they can't add extra for things in the box. Also the price includes £100 cash back/rebate. Could really do with a trip to the US to take advantage of the curernt exchange rate. I don't think the canon rebate applies to UK anyway.

I'm pretty excited about getting this just need to find the money now!

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
That company are fine. My family have bought things from them before. There's a rebate on the 40D in the UK too, yes? Amazing value in a digital I have to day. When I bought my D70 a few years ago we were talking £750 with the kit lens! Still going though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.