Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Giving a lot of thought to the Canon 300m f/4 L IS and a 1.4 Extender.

Anyone who owns one, what do you think of the lens?

Would be mainly using it for sports photographing sports such as Cricket, Football, Rugby and Athletics.

Ta in advance

Scott

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Own both - a great combo!!

It makes the lens a 440mm f/5.6 IS but that is still better than the shorter 400mm f/5.6 (non IS) lens that Canon makes.

Far lighter (and cheaper) than the heavier 300mm and 400mm f/2.8 IS lenses out there!

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I just bought the 300mm f/4L IS lens myself.

So far I love it, but it is really hard for me to judge since it has only been a week or so. The lens is heavy, but I am getting used to it. Other than that, I am very pleased with it.

I haven't invested in the extender, but I am considering it.

Edit: I haven't used it for sports, but I do try using it for nature/wildlife and some "macro" - I wish it was faster sometimes, but I just pump up the ISO. I don't know how good it would do for sports.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
As above, I own both. Superb bits of kit. I do prefer to use the 300mm without the 1.4 though. But it's nice to have the extender just in case.
I got mine from Kerso on ebay (though dealt with him outside of ebay) for £700 (inc postage).

The combination was used a fair bit at the Duxford Air Show last year.

Spitfire
F15 Eagle

oh it was quite good for footy

KRO Vs Blues old boys
Martin 'legend' O'Conner

Had a look at the e-bay prices, around £630 plus £50 p&p from hong kong. Was the 1.4 included in the £700?

and if it can take a picture of Martin O'Conner pulling a face it can't be bad :D and who it's it in the first pic? can't figure it out

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Keith Bertschin, was reserve team coach at blues. Now he's at Wigan!

Bought the 1.4 separately, before I discovered Kerso!

Just checked Kerso on Ebay, the lens is a little cheaper now (£5!). That said, most of his regular buyers tend to buy away from Ebay/Paypal and get a few quid knocked off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.