Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewcap

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Just wondering which of these is the speediest and takes the best photos?

JKitterman

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
What do you mean by speediest? Most frames per second? What kind of pictures? Are you talking about sports, macro stills, landscapes, etc.

iranintoavan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
What type of photography do you plan on doing? Also I'm assuming your starting out fresh, meaning you don't have any existing lenses or anything. My best advice would be to go to a local camera store and try them all out to get a feel for each one.

I'm a Canon guy so I couldn't tell you much about the Nikon's but I will tell you the 30D is a excellent camera that would be more than enough for your first camera. They are also priced very good. If it were me I would pick the 30D over the XSI if you decided to go Canon.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The d40 can't compete anywhere near the 30D. From the little info you have given, I will recommend the XSI for its easy user interface, and Live View.

"Speediest" this is a quick google search for the fps.

"Takes the best photos" Very user specific, one person may think the d40 takes better photos than the 30D. They'd have to be on crack, but still.

Cameras don't take photos, photographers do. If you have no experience, you can take just as crappy picture with a 5DmkII as with a d40. If you have the eye and creativity, you can take amazing photos using any consumer SLR.

The body doesn't matter much in photography, except fps in wildlife, or sports. You will want to spend the majority of your $$ on some decent glass. Your lens will last you through multiple bodies.

iranintoavan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
The d40 can't compete anywhere near the 30D. From the little info you have given, I will recommend the XSI for its easy user interface, and Live View.

"Speediest" this is a quick google search for the fps.

"Takes the best photos" Very user specific, one person may think the d40 takes better photos than the 30D. They'd have to be on crack, but still.

Cameras don't take photos, photographers do. If you have no experience, you can take just as crappy picture with a 5DmkII as with a d40. If you have the eye and creativity, you can take amazing photos using any consumer SLR.

The body doesn't matter much in photography, except fps in wildlife, or sports. You will want to spend the majority of your $$ on some decent glass. Your lens will last you through multiple bodies.

Very good info, if your an amateur and this is your first camera I would get the most affordable body, even a used one such as an XT, and then spend the extra on lenses.

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Out of all those cameras you listed, the 30D is the best one there.
The 30D has a much better build quality, better image quality than those Canon Rebels even if the rebels are newer with more megapixels, better ISO performance, and if your into sports I'd recommend the 30D as it has a much higher FPS.

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC

Nikon D60 and D40 are out of the question if you are using non AFS lenses since they do not have a built in AF Motor in the body. Maybe you should include the D80 in there, perhaps the D90 too.

30D, I never tried, XSI, I never tried (I tried the XTi tho).

But it doesn't matter. The only thing that really matters is (assuming by speed, you mean shutter speed with proper exposure) the lens you are using. Something with a wide aperture will do good.

So the real question you should be asking is, which lens is faster?

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005

As others have mentioned...speediest? I'm guessing you mean fps...so the 30D.

Best photos....all of these cams are capable of nice images. If you want better IQ, but treat the cam like a p&s, then get the D40 or XSI. Go to a store, see which feels best in your hands. Do you prefer buttons or menus? etc. Cant go wrong with either.

If you want to develop photography *skills*, then the Canon 30D or Nikon **D80** or the new D90 would be the way to go.

If you have $880 to invest, the new Nikon D90 is outstanding!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

None of them will work without a lens attached. Which lens you pick matters a lot more then which of these four bodies. in fact, in photographer speak "speed" is a property of the lens not the body. But I assume your use of "speedy" means things like shutter lag and autofocus speed. Again the lens matters a lot. A short f/1.4 prime lens will focus instantly on any bodywhile another longer f/5.6 zoom might even "hunt" on the same body.

The way to choose is to first select a brand. Find the one that has the lenses and bodies and flashes and so one yo might want to buy over the next few years. Then pick out a lens or two. Then find the body to fet those. Do it in that order.

realized

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I have only used one camera, a Nikon D40 which i love and was planning on getting..

now people are telling me about the Canon Rebel XSi which is in the same price range (ebay)

not sure which one is better..

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
As far as I know the D40 is restricted to certain lenses.
Where as with the Canon you can use any EF/EF-S Canon/third party lens.
Overall the Canon XSi is a better camera compared to the Nikon D40 IMHO.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
As far as I know the D40 is restricted to certain lenses.
Where as with the Canon you can use any EF/EF-S Canon/third party lens.
Overall the Canon XSi is a better camera compared to the Nikon D40 IMHO.

The D40 is only restricted if you require auto-focus. It can use lenses without a motor in them, but then you'll have to focus manually. (Those lenses will meter just fine, but they only AF on a camera with an in-body motor, which the D40 and D60 lack.)

ericjohnson1981

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
I just bought the 30D and i love it!
counter.jpg

Foxtrot Oscar

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Hong Kong

Indeed.

Baldrick you have all the artistic talent of a hedgehog... In a bag!

Fox

I have the Canon XS, works for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.